Telephones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telephones

About time we had a new mobile phone thread. At present I'm using my iPhone, via some free wi fi to post, as well. As using the iPod thingy to listen to pink floyd through the car stereo and have a SMS conversation with 2 people... All at the same time...I'm very happy(except my smilies don't work). And yes..before anyone mentions it I'm sure you just want a phone to make calls etc,I wanted an all singing all dancing gizmo. As soon as apple bring out a new phone that makes coffee I may upgrade to it (and upgrade myself from very happy to ecstatic)
    Non intercooled nothing.

Why are they still called phones?
    Seems to me that making a call is one of the least used features on mobile 'phones' these days.

Comment

Certainly is peripheral vince. Since I don't, thoughhave access to my home stereo or computer thisfills in admirably.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

hmmm pink floyd .........this is good http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Gdansk-...4404122&sr=8-1

or for a alternative ..... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storms-Still...4404185&sr=1-5
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

ok, my turn my daughter has a blackberry which has built in GPS but no maps, so does anyone know if i can use the maps on my Tom Tom sd card in the blackberry?
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

talkin of mobile internet,any of you guys got any experience of getting internet from mobile providers,as im thinking bout getting a laptop for the night shift,but not sure if its gonna cost a fortune to get mobile internet?

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
              talkin of mobile internet,any of you guys got any experience of getting internet from mobile providers,as im thinking bout getting a laptop for the night shift,but not sure if its gonna cost a fortune to get mobile internet?
              some mobile providers do a dongle if you sign up they give you a free laptop, my mate pays £15.00 per month
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                I've gone with Orange (they supply my landline and broadband) it's just under a tenner a month but with only 1GB download limit (works out about 33mb a day).
                It's not really enougth for permanent connection, but then I normally do about 100GB at home.

Whatever network you go with get a booster aerial which plugs into your dongle and increases reception.

Oh finally connection speed is not what they quote. It feels not quite as quick as my first broadband which was half a gig, it can get much slower depending upon reception.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                  I've gone with Orange (they supply my landline and broadband) it's just under a tenner a month but with only 1GB download limit (works out about 33mb a day).
                  It's not really enougth for permanent connection, but then I normally do about 100GB at home.

Whatever network you go with get a booster aerial which plugs into your dongle and increases reception.

Oh finally connection speed is not what they quote. It feels not quite as quick as my first broadband which was half a gig, it can get much slower depending upon reception.
                  What do you mean on the connection speed? Are you relating this to the download limit?
                  Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

On the subject of having no maps on a blackberry, you should be able to download the Google Maps or Blackberry Maps app for free from the blackberry apps store.
                    Work to Live NOT Live to Work!!!

Comment

if anyone's going for an iPhone, wait till the new year...

it's getting released on Orange next month and Vodaphone in the newyear... so i'm guessing they'll be trying to out do each other...

although vodaphone will remove any apple software and replace it with a windows mobile OS and ban you from downloading any apps... as usual!!
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by anderson165 View Post
                        On the subject of having no maps on a blackberry, you should be able to download the Google Maps or Blackberry Maps app for free from the blackberry apps store.
                        ok, Tmobile have said that it will cost about £10.00 per month extra, is the download free from the blackberry site?
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                          What do you mean on the connection speed? Are you relating this to the download limit?
                          No, I mean the speed at which you connect to the internet, i.e. how quick it takes for a web page to load.

It's not as quick as at home, there is a noticeable pause, much more when you start viseo or music streaming.
                          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                            No, I mean the speed at which you connect to the internet, i.e. how quick it takes for a web page to load.

It's not as quick as at home, there is a noticeable pause, much more when you start viseo or music streaming.
                            Oh OK - it's odd though, mobile broadband operates at approximately 0.9mbp/s (average household fixed line is now in the region of 4mbp/s) but mobile broadband browsing is around 34% slower than fixed line. Vodafone offer mobile broadband speeds of up to 7.20mbp/s but as with fixed line, this all depends on a number of factors - compression and contention ratios are fairly common to each, but distance is not a factor with mobile, just 3G coverage and cell station availablilty. All comes down to what you're looking for, where you are, what time of day and in some cases, the hardware and OS combinations you're using...

Now, back to phones...
                            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              About time we had a new mobile phone thread. At present I'm using my iPhone, via some free wi fi to post, as well. As using the iPod thingy to listen to pink floyd through the car stereo and have a SMS conversation with 2 people... All at the same time...I'm very happy(except my smilies don't work). And yes..before anyone mentions it I'm sure you just want a phone to make calls etc,I wanted an all singing all dancing gizmo. As soon as apple bring out a new phone that makes coffee I may upgrade to it (and upgrade myself from very happy to ecstatic)
                              I have also got an iphone that does'nt make coffee but the new 3gS is out and the "S" might stand for STARBUCKS?!?!?we live in hope!

Comment

Working...
                              X