Fuel tank insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank insulation

With the colder months approaching and using more veg oil than diesel, I have been thinking about insulating my fuel tank and fuel lines. My questions are though, is this legal to do? As in are the fuel tank and lines inspected at MOT time and so need to be seen? Also what sort of insulation would work best? Thinking something on the lines of a boiler tank jacket tied around the tank behind the bash gaurd.
    Hold my beer and watch this

Unless your going places, where it gets to -10 plus, then there is no real point, its easier to just put a small cupfull of petrol in each full tank, if you need specific info on the vegoil, then call the manufacturer and ask them what the clouding point is,{ the point the vegoil goes cloudy and starts to go like jelly } you will probaly find its well below any tempretures you are likely to see. Hope this helps.
    www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

The veg oil never gels in the tank, it's just that on colder mornings the truck is a pain in the ass to start with cold oil and I don't want to put unnessacary stress on the fuel pump. Just figured putting some insulation around the tank would make things easier.

Comment

You no listen Jas, "As the Man says n a lot less phaffin about !!

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n ya won't know when tho !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
          The veg oil never gels in the tank, it's just that on colder mornings the truck is a pain in the ass to start with cold oil and I don't want to put unnessacary stress on the fuel pump. Just figured putting some insulation around the tank would make things easier.
          We used to do transport to some god awful cold places, -30 was the norm, a bit of petrol mixed in with the diesal made a hell of a differance, mind you once it got past -12 to 15 we just never turned the motors off.
          A good battery and a drop nof the old petrol should make a big differance.

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
            You no listen Jas, "As the Man says n a lot less phaffin about !!

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n ya won't know when tho !!!!
            guess I could thin the oil down with petrol/diesel. But I'd prefer to run 100% veggi as much as possible. Something about the thought of "screw you Darling, you ain't getting my money!!"

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
              guess I could thin the oil down with petrol/diesel. But I'd prefer to run 100% veggi as much as possible. Something about the thought of "screw you Darling, you ain't getting my money!!"
              We didn't say you had to divorce your truck, just put a bit of petrol in it.

Comment

Aye petrol, white spirits, derv, owt to thin it a bit, i was going to insulate my 2nd tank when i fitted it with that gap type spray foam but did'nt bother, you could always fit those fuel line heater tape stuff, run em off a leasure battery and stick it on 10 mins before to start up,
                (or call the "ice road truckers" and see wot they do)
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

insulating the tank won't make any difference, the fuel in the lines is what needs heating.

you can get a fuel filter heater, which should make a difference
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                  X