Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! No Speedo & No 4 Wheel Drive

Hi folks

I need some help from the knowledgeable & technically gifted out there. A couple of weeks ago my speedo died. I asked for help & duely recieved some. I searched & searched and it seemed that the speed sensor was the problem. Thanks to Terry (Lord Lucan) I gained a replacement. Spent an hour cursing & swearing but eventually fitted said replacement. Speedo still doesn't work!

I've taken the speedo out, checked all the connections to ensure they're good but still no movement in the speedo needle. It would also appear that I have no 4 wheel drive either. When I press the button on the lever no lights/pictures appear on the dash & there's no telltale clunk of the front drive engaging (explains why I got a bit stuck the other night but that's another story).

Anyone out there got any ideas before I have to start buying lots of replacement bits & till I find which one is the problem?

Thanks

David

The only suggestion i have, is to take the kickplate in the drivers side footwell off and check all connections, do the same with the passenger side kickplate, check all connections there, there is also connections, and i am sure the 4X4 relay control is below where the stereo is, i could be wrong, but when i stripped my old one for spares, thats where it was, if you have a multi meter, then work from the switch to the relay, 4x4 control and then to the gearbox. Having a look through my Aussie book to see if i can find anything else.
    www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

The 4WD ECU is under the centre console where is meets the dash, so Paul is almost right that it's under the stereo. The 4WD relay is behind and slightly above the brake pedal and marked fuel pump relay - strange, but true.

Check that you haven't put the new speedo sensor in the wrong place - the sensor I think goes onto the transmission tunnel on the passenger side, there are two sensors that side -there is another one on the transfer case, which is what my problem was with my 4WD, although I did get the clunk...

It may be that the 4WD hasn't been used for a while, and just needed a shove, or that you've accidentally disconnected something along the way.
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
        The 4WD ECU is under the centre console where is meets the dash, so Paul is almost right that it's under the stereo. The 4WD relay is behind and slightly above the brake pedal and marked fuel pump relay - strange, but true.

Check that you haven't put the new speedo sensor in the wrong place - the sensor I think goes onto the transmission tunnel on the passenger side, there are two sensors that side -there is another one on the transfer case, which is what my problem was with my 4WD, although I did get the clunk...

It may be that the 4WD hasn't been used for a while, and just needed a shove, or that you've accidentally disconnected something along the way.
        Thanks a lot for your help. It may be that I've inadvertantly disconnected something - wouldn't surprise me so I'll check all connections again. As for the speedo sensor, i hope to god I put it in the right place. I took one out and replaced it with an identical one.... I found the other sensor too but it's totally different. I'm wondering now it it's the problem. Either that or my speedo clock has simply died. Without replacing each of the parts in turn with known working parts it's a bit hit'n'miss.....

Comment

Dead Speedo

When you had the speedo out did you look to see if any of the tracks on the back was burnt. if you turn the speedo on the side and look into it you will see two resistors, look for burn marks on these one is marked ( 100 25v 100 and the other 10 25v 10 ) these get very hot and also burn out.
          Look on the aussie site, there are photos of the resistors and also shows how the tracking burns. best of luck mate.
          Be Lucky

Comment

Take a ganders at this thread:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57045

Comment

Working...
            X