Starter refurbed still no go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter refurbed still no go.

Help, Just fitted contact kit into starter, still no go just the same clicking under the bonnet as before.
    Could it be that that rest of the starter is u/s? It does the same even if I put it in drive so maybe that rules out the gearbox switch.

This fault occured yesterday after stopping at shop, never gave a problem or hint of one before, batterys both new and tested ok,is there a fuse or relay tucked away ?
    Any help or advice greatly appreciated Thanks.

Have you actually tried a different battery rather than just checking them?

Comment

Yes Matt tried a spare battery and fitted boost start still no go. It just seems strange to just stop starting like that.

Comment

have you checked the earth from body to block a quick and simple way is to get a jump lead and connect one end to the chassis and the other to the engine block making sure you have a good contact on both (not recommended to drive like it!) if it starts wahooooo
        good luck
        I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

I would suggest first( if you haven't ) try starting it in "N"
          if still no go, you may possibly have found a dead band on the starter. I would then attempt to turn the engine by hand a little, you may have a dodgy spot on the ring gear.
          But try starting in neutral first, this should whether or not the relay responsible for stopping you from starting in "D" is ducking about
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

its never ending is it

Comment

Good shout short bloke
              goddam block earths were a real bind on early diesel mondeo's
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

cheers mate i learnt that little trick because of golfs their block earths were bad and his symptoms sound familiar are you going to wales for the p1ss up

Comment

Unfortunately not... Bug I have been a few times before. If your going your gonna LOVE it
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

If my lil mule dont break before the day i will be there

Comment

How much of the starter did you replace? I was reading through the Roughtrax website and just happened to notice their refurb kits for the starters. They say there is some other common parts inside that tend to go as well.

Originally posted by roughtrax4x4.com
                      Basic starter repair kit for the 1KZTE engine with the 2.7KW starter. After being asked to order this twin kit direct for a customer, we have found that it seems to be a regular fault that the starter just keeps clicking and does not turn the engine over, these components are the main cause of the starter solenoid failure. To date and to the best of knowledge this twin kit has repaired every starter. We have now added the "Magnetic Plunger" switch to the kit as this also seems to be a regular part that fails, and a relatively cheap component. To aid fitting we have also produced a fitting breakdown sheet showing were the components are fitted to help our customers.

Here is a link - http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=618
                      And here is the item link: http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=618&vid=831

The starters click when there isn't enough power getting to them usually. So, internal component issue :p
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Tried all those checks, Graham the gear selector checks all worked as they should. I'm now thinking about taking the starter off again, and ordering a new one on Monday, would this be the right way to go ?Anything else to try ?

Comment

So it won't start in neutral,the battery you are using pushes out about 13.8volts, the relay under the brake pedal can be heard clicking..
                          Short of trying the starter straight from a battery it sounds as though you need a new starter indeed. It's just ad easy to replace as it is to refurb.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks Tony it was the contact kit I fitted, ordered yesterday afternoon it was here in this mornings post thanks to Roughtrax. I think the other repair part is for 3L but maybe they are the same.

I to am thinking something else inside starter at fault.

Comment

The relay under the brake pedal ? Do you mean the one which is beside the fuse/relay box on the off side wing ? or is there another.

Comment

Working...
                              X