Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does everyones footrest get hot?

Hey Guys,
    Just wondering if my 1996 2nd gen surf 3.0Td is the only one where the floor area around the footrest gets quite warm on a long journey? I would expect the trans tunnel to get warm but the floor in mine gets warm ( can notive it thru shoes!) Any one else experiencing this or have I got a heat shield or something missing between exhaust manifold and bulkhead?
    Any ideas would be apreciated!

Buy thicker shoes They do get hot on a long run - you should try it without carpets! The problem is not just the transmission, but the exhaust down pipe is right under your left foot
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

HA! In summer I usually drive with my bare feet on so its quite nice in the evenings!
      My surf has the shag pile mats too....god knows how hot the floor pan must be underneath!
      Wont worry too much about it then - its nice in winter anyway! As long as its safe!

Comment

Originally posted by GixerJim View Post
        As long as its safe!
        No-one mentioned it being safe.

Comment

Its as safe as driving in bare feet I 'spose
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Whats wrong with driving in bare feet ? I've just done Spain and back in my socks - too hot to have shoes on and drive for 8 hours a day

Rob.

Comment

How come neither of my trucks have this heated trans tunnel problem then??
              Even towing the caravan for four hours the tunnel was only just warm on the 3rd gen.
              Do diesels generally have hotter exhausts?

Comment

HA! In summer I usually drive with my bare feet on
                Do you take your feet off in the winter?
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Could it not just be that he has the heaters set on the footwell.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Re

It is a real bummer!

My left foot gets extremely uncomfortable even on short drives.

I even toyed with the idea of getting some sheet metal and trying to make a shield.

Weird having one stinky foot all the time!

Comment

Vince, yeah, diesels are generally hotter
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Yes they get hot. I usualy put the aircon on around my feet but I think its going to be usefull in the winter
                        I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Yup, mine gets hot as well - just need the A/C on your feet in the summer
                          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

HA! In summer I usually drive with my bare feet on so its quite nice in the evenings!
                            My surf has the shag pile mats too....god knows how hot the floor pan must be underneath!
                            Wont worry too much about it then - its nice in winter anyway! As long as its safe!
                            Do you have interchangeable feet then? A bare pair, perma-socked, perma-shoed?

Perma-booted? OK, I'll stop..

We have a 96 3rd Gen, and I've not noticed it even while towing, and a 2nd Gen that does a 60 mile trip to work then another 60 miles home and not felt it there either..

Does seem odd that it's maybe isolated to a few trucks - maybe aftermarket exhausts? ATF type? Who really knows??
                            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Glad to hear thats its not just me then!
                              Think I will have a look underneath at the weekend and see what the exhaust to bulkhead clearance is like! In answer to other peoples comments:

1- No I dont have interchangeble feet (unfortuantly!) - just a phrase I picked up when living in oz a few years ago!- incidently also the place i learnt to apreciate toyota 4x4s. The ozzies swear by em` - Landcuisers/Patrols/Hiluxes are everywhere - not like X5s/cayennes etc in England!
                              2- I have standard exhaust system - will check front diff oil level too - ATF level seems ok!
                              3- Dont ever leave a chocolate bar in the centre arm rest! D

Comment

Working...
                              X