Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR and turbos - cracked heads anybody

caught this off another site by accident

What follows applies to Renault 1.5DCI engines, but may explain why the diesel turbochargers fail: The EGR valve should open to allow carbon dioxide (which acts as a cooling gas) into the combustion chambers when the engine is under load (>30% boost). This allows the combustion chamber temperature to drop and thus the temperature of the exhaust gases. If it sticks in the closed position the exhaust gas temperature will rise causing a) the turbo bearings to fail and b) engine oil into the induction system. This can cause the engine to run on its crankcase oil until it is either stalled or goes bang. Problems with EGR valves are often the cause of rough running when the valve is stuck in the open position as well. In several cases turbos have blown but the EGR valve has not been replaced. Inevitably the new turbo unit will not last long.

In fact... would dis connecting our EGR on our Surf's be the reason for so many cracked heads....
    Last edited by Vultch; 19 September 2009, 18:33.

Back in the day Baby

It's the poor design of the waterways in the heads that causes them to crack. They have been cracking with EGR valves connected too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
      In fact... would dis connecting our EGR on our Surf's be the reason for so many cracked heads....
      No.

Comment

After owning one for a short while, I can say absolutely the reason that this Renault blows up is because renaults are piles of shit
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
          After owning one for a short while, I can say absolutely the reason that this Renault blows up is because renaults are piles of shit
          At last a reasoned explanation.....

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Very true. My dad had one years ago, what a heap.

Comment

couldn't agree more, need a plastic clip for an electric window (common failure) as one on a mates clio broke, renault dealer price £130, they only do the complete assy!!

Comment

We had a 2001 Clio 1.5 dci, lovely car with no problems. Maybe it's because I look after my vehicles??

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  We had a 2001 Clio 1.5 dci, lovely car with no problems. Maybe it's because I look after my vehicles??
                  I still have one as my every day work car and can honestly say I can't fault it Did over 28k in it in 12 months and only issue was a rear wheel bearing failure.
                  Regular servicing goes a long way IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                    I still have one as my every day work car and can honestly say I can't fault it Did over 28k in it in 12 months and only issue was a rear wheel bearing failure.
                    Regular servicing goes a long way IMHO

Oh yeah, I remember now, I had to replace a rumbly rear wheel bearing too.
                    Actually I replaced both sides, simple enough job though.

Comment

The EGR does not operate under load. Not on a Surf anyway. The EGR is there to lower emissions and not to protect the turbo or anything else.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                      X