Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55mm body lift... Now some issues :(

Gday folks!

Lifted my truck in the weekend - she's looking better, but I have a couple of problems...

Steering - After loosening the steering column bolts, the steering is still pretty stiff, and wont return to centre. (The guide I was using didn't mention to loosen the bolts before hand - doh!)

4wd selector - the diff bolts are hitting the selector lever when I put it into 4wd low.

I'm also getting another weird knocking noise when driving, but I'm not sure where that is coming from...

I should mention the truck is a 3L V6 Auto...

Before everyone starts on you try the search button there are loads of threads on the subject!!!
    I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Steering shaft is prob fouling on the bulkhead where it passes through, ya might need to cut some metal away, i expect the rubber is jamming it as well
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Steering shaft is prob fouling on the bulkhead where it passes through, ya might need to cut some metal away, i expect the rubber is jamming it as well

also did you undo all 3 clamps? one under the dash, thinking! 55mm might be just that bit too much for the steering clamps to take up, might need to cut and sleeve the shaft, makesure you weld it well if this is wot you have to do, dont really want the shaft parting company when your doing 80

ooppps double post, black star and smacked legs
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

do you not have to fit a spacer in the steering columb?
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Nope. Mine has 2" spacers (51mm) and I had plenty of extra length in the steering.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I think the OP has serious isues if his steering is binding, something is knocking and the transfer lever is fouling on the Diff!?

If the bolts on the steering weren't loosened first, something somewhere will be broken?

My advice is to take it to someone who knows what they're doing! But then that's always my advice. A classic case which serves to reinforce my opinion
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                do you not have to fit a spacer in the steering columb?
                Thats on 3rd gens. Different set-up.

Comment

that would explain why i have one on mine then
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

as said before,remove a chunk of metal on the trans tunnel where the lever fouls,and also remove chunk of metal from bulkhead to sort steering out.did you by any chance fit rad drop brackets.if not chances are the knocking noise is the viscous fan hitting the fan shroud.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Well I just went and had a look, and the steering column is definitely touching the bulkhead. What's the best method of removing some metal? Big hammer and a chisel?

Re the fan shroud, there is definitely a rattle coming from that area, but everything looks fine, so I'll just keep my eye on it. I thought it was only the 2.4 that needed the radiator drop brackets?

As a get-around of the 4wd selector, I just got out the angle grinder, and cut a section of the lever away. Seems to have done the job...
                      Last edited by bimmaman; 15 September 2009, 11:54.

Comment

Get a file and file the bulkhead.
                        Did you remove the lower section of the rad shroud??
                        Check the bumper fixings on the inner wing as you may of forgotted to do one of those bolts up
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                        X