the long way round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the long way round

No doubt most of you have seen this program, or at least know the jist of what it's about.
    So, I had a thought. How far do you think someone would make it in a Toyota Surf?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

dont get me started i spend months researching the logicistics of doing it and partially why i bought the surf! have a wealth or maps and contacts of shipping and ferries etc to do it! but you cant do the journey they did as the flight between magadan and anchorage doesnt exist but i wont bore you with the ins and outs! the road of bones is the ultimate green lane and proabably the longest! would love to do it in the surf!

for getting around easy as every where in the world apart form england toyota parts are the most common and easiest to get hold of i.e. ameriaca and asia and easy to fix!

check out this below a chap did it

http://www.yakutiatoday.com/travel/r...kmagadan.shtml
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Missus got me the dvd.... if that russian minibus made it across the road of bones i am sure a surf would make it all the way......
      Floatation tyres would get you across the bering strait as well.....
      Remember arrows are silent.....................
      Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
        No doubt most of you have seen this program, or at least know the jist of what it's about.
        So, I had a thought. How far do you think someone would make it in a Toyota Surf?
        2.4 or 3.0?

Comment

Mine made it to Wolverhampton from Southam today....just hope it gets me back again, I don't have the spare on the roof though...
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            2.4 or 3.0?
            Having owned both the 2.4 and 3.0, I honestly think that the 2.4td would be more suited to the job. You have the LOW ratio for when you need it anyway, plus you have the very slightly more economic engine getting an average (in my experience only) of 4 to 5mpg over a full tank.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              2.4 or 3.0?
              nah, 2.7 or 3.4

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

Yeah, 2.4, being smaller and less reliable (all things being equal) will be better for a journey in the wilderness...

How far would you get? North-eastern spain, then your rear wheel bearing lets go.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Petrol or Diesel?
                  Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    Yeah, 2.4, being smaller and less reliable (all things being equal) will be better for a journey in the wilderness...

How far would you get? North-eastern spain, then your rear wheel bearing lets go.
                    I'm waiting for the insults to start flowing.. I'll have you know I drove my 2.4 to Monaco and back. We stopped off in Mont Blanc and drove way up through some dirt track that was barely wide enough for the surf. The only problem was that on the way there we had luggage and 120 Litres of KTC Veg oil. This caused the rear brake bias to go and leak out all my brake fluid each time I pressed the brake.
                    The brake bias going and the Surf being a 2.4 are just coincidental.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                      Petrol or Diesel?
                      I thought about this also. I think Diesel would be better as then you could stick veggy oil in if you can't find a fuel garage
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                        nah, 2.7 or 3.4

Bogus
                        2.7 16v or 4.0 32v petrol.

Comment

4.2td diesel....
                          aka my shed......

I would love to do that.....
                          One day at the time I guess..

Comment

The 4.2TD Landcruiser is a very big motor. I wonder what the weight difference is between the LC and the Surf.
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                              The 4.2TD Landcruiser is a very big motor. I wonder what the weight difference is between the LC and the Surf.
                              my LC is plated at 2960 but with people a full tank and some camping gear it's about 3.5ton.....

I would love to take it overlanding though....
                              One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Working...
                              X