just a wee F.Y.I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just a wee F.Y.I

As some of you guys read and answered my posts about wobbly steering,I thank you for your input.So here is the script,I finally lost it on a bend much to the surprise of me undercrackers!So got a mechanic to strip it down and check the lot of the front assemblyI.E lower b/joints steering bushes and everything else I could remember off the forum! Verdict.....shot front and rear shocks and overinflated tyres!!!My guess...We will see!what ya think??

Link to your original thread?

How high is over-inflated?

Comment

Given the rain we've had up here the past wee while, you should have been careful when cornering. Overinflated tyres would have made things worse. What pressure were they at? I had mine at 42 for a while and there were no adverse effects.

Wobbly steering and a bouncy front end are different things, that's why we'd miss the shock issue.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Well they are new grabber AT's so should have been grippy!!The pressure was at 40psi as I tried to ease the steering rattling and the mechanic reckons 28 is plenty

Comment

Did the 'mechanic' check the steering rack bushes? They're a known MOT failure point on the 3rd gen. as they go soft over time allowing the rack to shift from side to side a little causing vague steering responce. Replace with a new harder set from Roughtrax.

Comment

Yeah that was first on the list as well as steering dampers and lower ball joints.So the guy reckons new shocks will make a huge difference which I got from milners but I am sceptical!!!

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
              Well they are new grabber AT's so should have been grippy!!The pressure was at 40psi as I tried to ease the steering rattling and the mechanic reckons 28 is plenty
              My tyres are (were) Grabber ATs too, who told you they were grippy? If you swing a 2 tonne pendulum round a corner too fast, it's going to slide. You're not in a Lotus 7 now!

I think 32psig is what most of us run on the road.

Comment

Yeah that was first on the list as well as steering dampers and lower ball joints.So the guy reckons new shocks will make a huge difference which I got from milners but I am sceptical!!!
                Ask him exactly how new shock absorbers will cure a steering wobble, then post back here.

Comment

40 psi is firm, but most definitely not unsafe. That should be a perfectly fine pressure to run on.

Comment

40 psi might rattle your teeth out
                    and shit shocks would make an already nominally handling car handle badly.
                    But not send you off into a bush bad....just punch your mechanic
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Erm, you really should go to another garage, 3rd gens don't have steering dampers.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        40 psi is firm, but most definitely not unsafe. That should be a perfectly fine pressure to run on.
                        I have 30psi in my bfg's and that feels hard!! gonna try em down to 25, 40 seems a bit too hard, depends on the tyre i suppose, (and the size of one's arse)
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                          I have 30psi in my bfg's and that feels hard!! gonna try em down to 25, 40 seems a bit too hard, depends on the tyre i suppose, (and the size of one's arse)
                          It's all those LEDs making your truck light!

no?

where's me coat?

Comment

Working...
                          X