more and more things wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more and more things wrong

just been doing the lower ball joint and decided to do my inner cv boot. so i have the hub off by undoing the top and lower ball joints, as well as the anti roll and shock. oh and the steering link arm to enable the hub to be placed behind the wishbone because i have not disconnected the brake lines. so everything is now out including the front half shaft.

however, i have just discovered that where the half haft goes into the diff (the bit the cv boot connects onto) has a bit of play in it. is this normal or do i have a big job on my hands.
    Completely bitten by the off road bug, and what better vehicle to do it in!

Panic not. As long as its not flopping around like a wet fish, some play is normal at the diff end.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

cheers for the reply. there is nothing leaking from it so i'll just rebuild it till it blows eventually.

Comment

you know you went the long way round to do the cv boot?
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
          you know you went the long way round to do the cv boot?
          Aye, if he'd used the search function, he'd have found the 20 minute way to do it?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I've got it down to 19m 23s now.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Ive done two.
              Got it down to about an hour
              lol
              私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

why was mine the long way round, is there a quicker way. i had everything stripped down in about 20mins thats ball joints off ready for replacing and the hub pulled back ready for the boot. if you guys have better ways of doing it please share

Comment

Originally posted by Cooler View Post
                  why was mine the long way round, is there a quicker way. i had everything stripped down in about 20mins thats ball joints off ready for replacing and the hub pulled back ready for the boot. if you guys have better ways of doing it please share
                  Loosen the six inside flang nuts, knock out one bolt, remove hub nuts and circlip, remove whole half shaft through the wish bone, change boot reverse above.
                  Brian

Comment

but id still have to undo all the ball joints to take them off. i dont see the point, i must be missing something

Comment

but id still have to undo all the ball joints to take them off. i dont see the point, i must be missing something
                      What has a ball joint got to do with a halfshaft removal?
                      Unless you change them ever time u do a boot change
                      Brian

Comment

just been doing the lower ball joint and decided to do my inner cv boot.
                        I think this is why he did it his way.
                        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

no i just changed them this time and my mot guy said my drive boot were on the way out so i wanted to replace them to. it wouldn't fail its mot on inner cv boots, but the drivers side needed doing anyway because it was totally in half.

Comment

Working...
                          X