CB Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Help

Got a problem with my new Midland Alan 78 Plus Multi CB.

Its Frequency Band is stuck on EC, I can't get it to change to UK. When I press the AM/FM button, it uses the LCR function (the button's 2nd function), not the AM/FM change function.

The manual says to switch the CB off and back on again whilst holding the AM/FM and Scan buttons, but that doesn't work.

Anyone got any ideas what I can try? Monkey at Maplins (where I bought it) just started sweating and therefore smelling more, when I asked him what to do.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Andy

Just had a look at the manual for your CB and noted that after you switch back on whilst holding the 2 button down you then need to select the frequency by rotating the channel knob. Also as you are showing EC on the radio try note 1 to see if it reverses things

FREQUENCY BAND SELECTION
    The frequency bands must be chosen according to the country where you are going to operate.
    Procedure:
    Switch off the unit.

Turn it on while pushing the “AM/FM” e “SCAN” buttons at the same time.
    Rotate the “CHANNEL” knob and select the desired frequency band

To stop your selection, press the “AM/FM” button.

NOTE1: In the UK frequency band, you can select directly the EC band by pushing the “AM/FM” button for 2 seconds.

Comment

If its easy to remove I'd do so and present it to said "monkey" tell him its fcuked and you want a new one or your money back and you're not particulaly bothered which. That usualy grabs thier attention.
      I'd be willing to bet that you will leave there with a working cb.

Brummie
      I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
        If its easy to remove I'd do so and present it to said "monkey" tell him its fcuked and you want a new one or your money back and you're not particulaly bothered which. That usualy grabs thier attention.
        I'd be willing to bet that you will leave there with a working cb.
        It's a discontinued model, or he'd have it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
          Andy

Just had a look at the manual for your CB and noted that after you switch back on whilst holding the 2 button down you then need to select the frequency by rotating the channel knob. Also as you are showing EC on the radio try note 1 to see if it reverses things
          Tried that Andy, still no worky. Doing my nut in!

Comment

Have you tried the PC technicians favourite "REBOOT"

Power it off and remove from 12v supply completely, give it 20 min's and power up again to see if that clears it's memory

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
              Have you tried the PC technicians favourite "REBOOT"

Power it off and remove from 12v supply completely, give it 20 min's and power up again to see if that clears it's memory
              Nope, I'll try that now though.

Comment

Does yours scan continuously until it finds a carrier, or just once through the channels and then stops on the channel it started on? About as much use as a chocolate teapot that scan function!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  It's a discontinued model, or he'd have it back.
                  Bugger

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    Does yours scan continuously until it finds a carrier, or just once through the channels and then stops on the channel it started on? About as much use as a chocolate teapot that scan function!
                    It continually scans through the 40 channels. I don't ever find anything though, I'm scanning the wrong frequency.

Comment

I dont know if things are different in Scotland but surely even if the cb is a discontinued line there is still a warranty that would start from the day of purchase and it has to be "fit for purpose". The fact that it will not opperate as it is supposed to do makes it not fit for purpose. So unless it was purchased as a factory second or some other description that would make it that it didn't have to work properly and that was noted on the recipt to put it bluntly they're stuffed. You bought what was supposed to be a working cb. It doesn't, so it is up to them to get it sorted to your satisfaction and if all else fails you still have the Midland guarantee to fall back on.

Brummie

PS I bet it don't work that way in Scotland and I've just worn my typing fingers to the bone (all two of them) for nowt

Comment

I doubt there's something wrong with the CB, it's more likely to be the operator that's faulty. I butchered it a wee bit when I installed it, so the warranty will be void. If it does turn out to be totally gubbed, I'll put it down to experience and buy another one...

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
                          Bugger
                          I'll refer you to the above

Comment

Have you still got the manual ? I have the same CB when they come they are for some reason programmed for EU dont worry its not you, or the rig. Let me know if you are still stuck later today I can post you the exact instructions I cant remember off hand but it is simply pushing a couple of buttons then it will display EU then off you go.
                            Bear with me as I've just finished 12 hour nights and I have to get the new rad fitted in the Surf this morning.

Comment

I'm sure mine scanned continuously at first. These days, it just scans once and gives up. No mention of how to change that in the very thin manual though, and I've tried all sorts of multiple button presses.

OTOH, I have a simple button for EU / UK
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X