paintwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paintwork

I've just spent the day waxing the surfs bodywork and boy is it gleaming,would put most new trucks to shame however is it normal for the lower sections (below rubber trim) of each door to have a very orange peel effect to the paintwork its almost as if the under coat has been layered on really thick is this normal as every door is the same.

Originally posted by karl higgs
    I've just spent the day waxing the surfs bodywork and boy is it gleaming,would put most new trucks to shame however is it normal for the lower sections (below rubber trim) of each door to have a very orange peel effect to the paintwork its almost as if the under coat has been layered on really thick is this normal as every door is the same.
    This sounds like a stone chip protection. Not sure if its normal on 2nd Gens, there's none on a 3rd.

Quite common on many vehicles, its a thick flexible layer applied before the final coat
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      This sounds like a stone chip protection. Not sure if its normal on 2nd Gens, there's none on a 3rd.

Quite common on many vehicles, its a thick flexible layer applied before the final coat
      Certainly not standard on 2nd Gens, never seen another one with it on. However I would say it's a very good idea to have so I think you have a good little extra there Karl.

I have done the same on my Daughter's Fiesta, one thing cos it was rusty and it covered up the mess left when I got rid of the rust, and another cos it's the front and rear valance and they get terrible stone chips.

Cheers

Comment

Mine definitely aint got anything like that, but surfs come over here with allsorts of extras and odd bits and bobs, so more than likely you got a bonus!
        [IMG]http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/public/coppermine/albums/userpics/10024/surf3.jpg[/IMG]

Big 'n' beautiful!

Comment

mine has it, mine's a burgundy with the grey under the rubbing strips having this effect, it looks almost like a 'hammerite' finish.
          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Mine is like this also
            I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Most of the Surfs I've owned have had this coating but the finish varies a bit from smooth to very dimpled. If you're unfortunate enough to badly dent your valence or rocker panels you can see that the coating is about 1mm thick

Comment

Working...
              X