Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Con

Hi there folks,

Today I tried to sort out the air con on the Surf I bought last Saturday. Turns out that there is no condenser/air con radiator attached. Oops.

Before I sort out getting a replacement is there anything else I should be looking for (eg some sort of guard/covering plate/fans/etc) that might be missing?

The chaps at the air con place that I took it to seemed to think that was the only functional part of the air con missing (never having actually looked at the air con on a surf before) but I was wondering in case there should be some sort of guard to protect it or something?

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything else before I start hunting round for parts...

(yes, I've seen the parts for sale section with the air con rad available and I'll be probably phoning about it tomorrow)

Thanks for the help folks!

Incidentally, I went to First Choice Motors in Fenton/Longton in Stoke-on-Trent and I've been heartily impressed with them so far. I haven't dealt with them before but they've been incredibly helpful and quick off the mark with sorting stuff out for me today so top marks for them!

Any chance of filling your profile out with your truck details ?

2.4 and 3.0 have different read set ups for the air con rads, so will make it easier to answer correctly

Comment

Good point!

I've got a 2.4TD / LN130 1992 Surf (Jap Import).

I've just nipped out to take some photos and I'll link to them here (hopefully!)

I assume that these mounting brackets are used to bolt the air con rad to the Surf.

This is one of the pipes which lead to the rest of the air con system.

Just to clarify - the photos are taken from underneath at the front, behind the numberplate, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help folks.

Comment

My 2.4 zircon rads were under the engine
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Yep it just looks like your missing the aircon rad and fans. That pipe connects to the side of the rad, with another one connecting to the other side. If I remember I'll take some photos tomorrow, as mine is currently off my truck.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Save yourself a lot of grief and remove the rest of it, in all the three years before i junked mine i never used it, (dont think it worked anyway) you could always use the comp for on board air,
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
              Yep it just looks like your missing the aircon rad and fans. That pipe connects to the side of the rad, with another one connecting to the other side. If I remember I'll take some photos tomorrow, as mine is currently off my truck.
              Thanks Maverick - I'd really appreciate it if you could take some pics for me while it's out so I know what I'm doing! Ta!

I definitely want the air con sorting out - can't see any use personally from using it for compressed air.

Comment

dont know about the 2.4 but I wouldnt be without mine in the 3.0l ...it gets like an oven on a long run and I have lernt not to put chockies in the centre console the hard (or verry soft, nay liquid) way!
                that is a big lump of hard working hot metal infront of your knees!
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Fair enough! i just open the windows and get that loverly fresh chip shop smell, ideal on a long run

Btw rustino unless you removed it your missing the bash plate to, not a prob unless you do off road tho,,

on board air is handy tho, i did'nt use the old air con comp but a comp off an air sus system (off surfinstien) apart from it powering the wifes side step i plumbed in some snap connectors so i can stick an air line on and pump up my own tyres
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Ok here is what the radiator looks like with the fans attached (it should come this way, mine only got removed thanks to Salisbury Plains).

Here's the back veiw (once again please excuse the mud).

Here's the back veiw of the fans.

Here's the offside connections under the engine block, if your missing any of these it woun't go on properly.

This is the offside rear fixing for the radiator.

And finally this is the vacum pipe that connects to the fans.

Hope that helps a bit for you.
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

what's the rad n fans worth mine was removed before it went off road along with every thing else air con related it didnt work i think needed re gassing

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
                        what's the rad n fans worth mine was removed before it went off road along with every thing else air con related it didnt work i think needed re gassing
                        I'm guessing about £30 for the rad & fans, maybe £10-20 for the piping and £40 for pumps or compressors would sound fairly reasonable to me. Maybe a tenner for the protective plate underneath it all?

Comment

Tell the truth i just scrap all the aircon stuff on the breakers.I've never been asked for the stuff yet and if i did get asked for the lot then i would probably just sell it all for about £30 plus the postage.Its just worth scrapping imho
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks. the rad n fans would prob cost as much to post as thay are worth

Comment

OK then - if anyone is willing to sell me the whole shebang for £30 plus postage they've got a deal!

How would you like paying? PM me...

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X