What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think?

The rad on my surf looks like the original and has some signs of rust here and there, also the coolant looks as though there are the odd flakes of rust in it, no leaks mind and had a test for exhaust gases ect all ok but for my own piece of mind i'm changing it anyway along with the cap, thermostat ect, if i'm doing all that would it be worth changing out the water pump as well (yes yes i know, if it ain't broke....), as said it's just for my own piece of mind.
    Neal

Personally, I wouldn't!

Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
      Personally, I wouldn't!

Alan
      Cool, cheers mate.
      Neal

Comment

Why not if it''ll give you peace of mind, i believe the 3lt engines are a bit easier to "burp" than the 2.4's anyway, give ie a real good flush and change the useual stuff, cap, stat etc, dunno about the pump, if it's working ok then i'd leave alone, pay particluar attension to flushing the rear heater pipework and the small turbo cooler pipes, if any hoses look iffy, replace etc, dont think you need the burping mod that some of us have fitted to the 2.4s but not sure, whichever it's a pretty cheap easy mod, consisting of a 15m drain cock (plumbers merchants), 15m end feed tee, some short 15m pipe and three 15m olives, this is cut into the heater pipe at it's highest point at the bulkhead, and ya do the final top up via a plastic pop bottle hung from the bonnet, do a search and theres several "writeups" on doing this if you need to,

(this is mine, i fitted two draincocks to flow and return on the heaters)
        the cock is one made by MattF and is a double cock and air release, i just made the cocks, (no pic i'm afraid) but you get the idea
        Attached Files
        Last edited by POPEYE; 15 August 2009, 08:33.
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

If you are doing the cam belt and it was damp there i would say yes , if you are not doing it let sleeping dogs lie , , make sure you flush the cooling system and then burp it on refilling to avoid airlocks or fit a bleed valve like in the above post
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Popeye, that's interesting, I've not seen this will do a search, thanks.
            Neal

Comment

Bio, will check for that as well thanks.
              Neal

Comment

when you refill poor the antifreez in first slowley 5ltrs then slowley fill the rest up with water by doing it slowley with a jug you dont get the air locks, or pop up to croydon and i will help you
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

i would do it
                  are you restoring ya surf? like me
                  coz i would do it just so i know its new and not going to let me down
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                    when you refill poor the antifreez in first slowley 5ltrs then slowley fill the rest up with water by doing it slowley with a jug you dont get the air locks, or pop up to croydon and i will help you
                    Got some premixed coolant from roughtrax so shouldn't need to dilute (I think, first time i've tried this) and thanks for the offer Charvell might have to call on someone if it all goes pete tong, think i should be ok, have read loads on this now, much appreciated though.
                    Neal

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                      i would do it
                      are you restoring ya surf? like me
                      coz i would do it just so i know its new and not going to let me down
                      No mate, not restoring it but I was thinking along the same lines i.e. I then know it's done. But think I will leave it unless as Bio suggests it is damp around the cam belt section, I've not got any problems to suggest it's faulty it was just a piece of mind thing.
                      Neal

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        (this is mine, i fitted two draincocks to flow and return on the heaters)the cock is one made by MattF and is a double cock and air release, i just made the cocks, (no pic i'm afraid) but you get the idea
                        That has to get the vote for the most cocks in one post.

This a pic of that dual bleed system insitu.

As mentioned previously, check all hoses, (you way well find some which are crumbling or partially blocked internally), flush and backflush thoroughly and refill slowly. You will save yourself a lot of grief on the airlock front if you refill slowly rather than trying to chuck the coolant back in as quickly as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                          That has to get the vote for the most cocks in one post.

This a pic of that dual bleed system insitu.

As mentioned previously, check all hoses, (you way well find some which are crumbling or partially blocked internally), flush and backflush thoroughly and refill slowly. You will save yourself a lot of grief on the airlock front if you refill slowly rather than trying to chuck the coolant back in as quickly as possible.
                          Double cock!! its a single cock and air vent is wot i should have said, what a cock
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Is this burping required on the 3.0.
                            I have a dodgy rad cap so ordered replacement and I'm gonna flush and refill the system as it was depleted due to aforementioned dodgy cap.
                            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                              Is this burping required on the 3.0.
                              I have a dodgy rad cap so ordered replacement and I'm gonna flush and refill the system as it was depleted due to aforementioned dodgy cap.
                              As far as I know, yup. Btw, just incase you're interested, I think I still have the MKI version of that adaptor knocking about somewhere. I never used that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X