Been Thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been Thinking

I know i know it's a shock to my system aswell..

When i get round to fitting my 39's to the truck can i get away with taking the front diff off and just keeping the truck as 2wd.I know i will have to still have the shfts going through the hubs to keep the c rap out from the bearings but i was going to cut the front drive shafts down to prevent this.

All i really want to know will it be ok to leave the front diff off altogether.
    Once i get the money to re-gear the front and rear diffs then i will fit it again
    TIA
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
    I know i know it's a shock to my system aswell..

When i get round to fitting my 39's to the truck can i get away with taking the front diff off and just keeping the truck as 2wd.I know i will have to still have the shfts going through the hubs to keep the c rap out from the bearings but i was going to cut the front drive shafts down to prevent this.

All i really want to know will it be ok to leave the front diff off altogether.
    Once i get the money to re-gear the front and rear diffs then i will fit it again
    TIA
    cann't you just take the front prop off? and run it like that
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

I was thinking about that but i was going to take the diff off so i could clean the sump on the engine as i think it may be partially blocked as the oil pressure drops to just under the 1st mark and if towing up hill it does go a fraction lower.Its been doing this since i blew the turbo 3 years ago when i lost oil pressure coming home from the plains.
      i may even consider swapping the engine for one i know is good and holds the oil pressure half way between the 1st 2 marks

Comment

I don't see a problem as it will run ok in 2wd ........(stein does)

the only thing with cutting the drive shafts down is they will need to be ballance or you will get vibration , ask mark what he did with stein .
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Make a blanking plate for rear of hub maybe?
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

i mentioned props coz thats what i did to get home in the disco when i blew my diff to bits. also heard of some fronteras running 2wd coz of diff probs. seems its usual to remove the prop whendiff blows, but on a disco thats constant 4wd then u have to drive with diff locks engaged.
            landies and fronteras must have diffs made of chocolate.
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
              Make a blanking plate for rear of hub maybe?
              This is what i was thinking of about cutting the drive shafts right back to the backing plates so just the splines went through the hub and fixed in place with the circlip and the bolt and washer on the end

Comment

Working...
              X