cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder head

im thinking of purchasing my first surf at the end of the month its a 1992 2.4 ssr-x auto but what im askin is how worried should i be about the cylinder head going ? after reading numerous articles and posts it does seem as though its just a matter of when it will go ? can anyone enlighten me as to this common fault on the version 2 ????? cheers ...lee
    Lee

Hi
    Mine has just gone but is a 1990, i think the myth is that there was a faulty batch of heads so maybe by 92 the problem was cleared up???? wait for someone else to verify this as i am a fairly new surfer!!
    I still love the surf even though it is currently thinning my wallet quite effectively, great to drive, comfortable, loads of room and look better than the other options!!
    Dont let it frighten you away from one, just keep a little wonga tucked aside just in case or try to find one that has already been done, i think the costs to replace head seem to average around £800.
    If it really worries you then try and stretch to a 3-litre.
    Hope that has helped, Ed
    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

We up in the norhwest are very lucky as we have our own surf engine recon man. stevo is his name surfs are his game. ive had my 2.04 for over 12 months & shes fine. around 80% of members on here have had no problems according to the forum poll we had a while back.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

cheers

cheers ! that was the only thing i was worried about .....lee
        Lee

Comment

20% is a significant percentage. If I'd known that when I bought my surf 3 years ago I definitely would have bought a 3lt.
          I drove mine for almost 2 years before I had to get the head done so I would say those figures are only going to get worse.
          The only way I would buy a 2.4 is if it had already had the head done & all receipts were there...or it would have to be ridiculously cheap.
          Some people are still paying 5k for a 2.4 surf and expecting the legendary Toyota reliability.
          Having said that they're a great car & I'd reccomend them to anyone
          Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Working...
          X