Burning tar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning tar??

At lunch I went out to get some food and when I parked I thought I could smell freshly laid tar (like when they're resurfacing the road) but couldnt see anything around. I thought nothing of it.
    Then when I got back to work and got out I could smell it again.

Clearly I could be imagining the whole thing but just wondered if it sounded familiar to anyone here?
    I recently had it undersealed (about a month ago) and wondered if it might be the smell of that getting hot in this sun.

Any ideas or am I mad?

Originally posted by Dolph
    At lunch I went out to get some food and when I parked I thought I could smell freshly laid tar (like when they're resurfacing the road) but couldnt see anything around. I thought nothing of it.
    Then when I got back to work and got out I could smell it again.

Clearly I could be imagining the whole thing but just wondered if it sounded familiar to anyone here?
    I recently had it undersealed (about a month ago) and wondered if it might be the smell of that getting hot in this sun.

Any ideas or am I mad?
    Have you had a look to see if any of the underseal got sprayed/brushed onto your exhaust ?? Don't think its likley the sun could heat it enough to cause a smell
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Smelly

I coated the underside of my car in Waxoyl last year. I accidentally got some on the exhaust and there was a definite unpleasant hot tar type whiff for a good couple of weeks.

All gone now though.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
        Have you had a look to see if any of the underseal got sprayed/brushed onto your exhaust ?? Don't think its likley the sun could heat it enough to cause a smell
        I had a quick look but I couldnt see anything.
        It doesnt quite smell like the underseal did but it's all I could think of.
        Could be I just went over some hot/new tar and it stuck to my wheels (in this heat).
        Think I'm probably being paranoid.

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
          I coated the underside of my car in Waxoyl last year. I accidentally got some on the exhaust and there was a definite unpleasant hot tar type whiff for a good couple of weeks.

All gone now though.

Rob
          Okay cool. Thanks guys!

Comment

I managed to pick up a plastic shopping bag on the hot exhaust but that smelled more like hot plastic shopping bag really
            ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

off topic but once I hit a bat! at night... the poor bugger stuck to the headlight (unknown to me) when I got out I could smell something like cooked chicken. Discovered the bat melted unto the light. It smelled exactly like a cooked chicken, didn't taste it though.........!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
                off topic but once I hit a bat! at night... the poor bugger stuck to the headlight (unknown to me) when I got out I could smell something like cooked chicken. Discovered the bat melted unto the light. It smelled exactly like a cooked chicken, didn't taste it though.........!!
                Don't blame you. there,s not much meat on the wings and the legs are too short to have a drumstick!
                A former work mate of mine hit a fox one night going to work. He had a look nad couldn't see where it had gone. It wos Friday morning when he finished. He put the car in the garage and loaded up his other car. The family went off to Cornwall for the week.
                When he got back he opened the garage door. The smell nearly knocked him on his backside. The poor old fox was lodged between the back axle and the fuel tank. He had to jet wash it out. That car was steam cleaned, disinfected, sprayed underneath with tomato juice, had a stick-up air freshener under every seat, pine tree hanging from the mirror and he took to burning incense sticks on the dash (in a special holder). The smell was still lingering when he managed to sell it to a woman with sinusitis .
                Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 20 May 2004, 23:09.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                X