Next job to tackle on my list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next job to tackle on my list

ill be looking at the rear wiper washer tomorrow but ive just remembered that both my rear passenger door windows seem to be playing up a bit. When lowered, they seem to go down at an acceptable speed till they hit just past mid way, then they really slow down till they meet the stop.(regardless of engine running or not)Does this sound like they are failing, or might they just need a good squirt of silicon or similar (suggestions please). How difficult are the motors to get at?, removing door trims etc?.
    As allways, ever gratefull for all the help and advice i get from the forum.
    nigel
    Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Hi Nigle

I have had his a while back and found that the glass was separating from the mech that holds it in place so when it goes up all is fine as its pushed in place. When you drop the window it pulls it down but as it became detached the rest is up to gravity. So clean the side runners and take the door panle off and have a look. I ended up glueing it back into its holder.

Hope that helps!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
      Hi Nigle

I have had his a while back and found that the glass was separating from the mech that holds it in place so when it goes up all is fine as its pushed in place. When you drop the window it pulls it down but as it became detached the rest is up to gravity. So clean the side runners and take the door panle off and have a look. I ended up glueing it back into its holder.

Hope that helps!

Mark
      Thanks, a place to start, would you recommend a bit of some sort of lubricant while ive got the panels off. If i try the windows with the panel off,is anything likely to jump out at me or fall on the floor? If need glue, what did you use?
      thanks
      nigel
      Last edited by nigel129; 6 August 2009, 21:22.

Comment

I used good old WD40 and ? Araldite I think....from what I remember nothing special to look out for .... there is a screw in the inside door handle and it's a little fiddley but once off all easy after that.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
          I used good old WD40 and ? Araldite I think....from what I remember nothing special to look out for .... there is a screw in the inside door handle and it's a little fiddley but once off all easy after that.

Mark
          Cheers mad, just happen to have araldite here as well so no panic on that score, however i was once told that WD40 strips grease,is very good at penertrating and releasing but only has a short life as a lubricant, dont know if theres any truth in it.
          nigel

Comment

Talking of WD40, anyone seen this http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/

Comment

WD40 isn't a lubricant.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Use a silicone spray lubricant. Door handles need pushing towards the front of car to unclip after screw is removed.

Comment

I've always found ACF-50 to be pretty good stuff.
                  Neal

Comment

update

well sorted the wiper washer, the trim was a bit of a bitch to get off, left a couple of poppers that i had to take out and put back on the trim, but anyway, the strange thing is, i thought id have to clean (got a can of comp air i clean puters with) from the water feed to jet direction, No, blew it thru and was clean. Just out of ###### mindedness blew thru the pipe towards the "pump"wherever that is, hey presto, water, so it must have had a prob between the pump and the section nearest the jets, but not fron that section to the jets. (ie backwards)
                    I digress, vacuumed the surf out, washed it by hand, but the paintwork still looks as if its glazed.
                    Nuther prob, seem to have rust spots appearing on chrome bits, bumbers etc, small spots at the mo, HOW can either make them good or stop further spread.?
                    nigel
                    ps thanks for all previos info.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
                      I've always found ACF-50 to be pretty good stuff.
                      Very good for stopping corrosion; but again, not a lubricant.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Very good for stopping corrosion; but again, not a lubricant.
                        the things i learn here, keep it coming,stopped short of the door panels today, the wiper washer cover did my head in, must never been off since new.
                        nigel.ow about good old 3 in one, found a nice new "spray version" in the back while cleaning, but will it last, dont want to "de trim" in 3 months time.
                        nigel

Comment

Working...
                        X