Disco V Surf thanks for unbiased advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disco V Surf thanks for unbiased advice

Re my earlier post “advice on buying Surf”, many thanks for all the advice on Surf over Disco, as expected there is a little bias towards the Surf but then again the Disco gets the same treatment on a land rover forum I have had some help with.
    You all seem to be aware of the tin worm problem Discos suffer with, there is a solution to that guys buy a Disco that has bean imported from Japan, it will have no rust be will maintained (now who would go to that trouble) then Wax oil it and away you go (and a Diesel one won’t crack a cylinder head lol)
    If my disco fails its MOT next year I will give very serious consideration to a 3L Surf Auto, does anyone know the maximum weight a Surf can tow is I have read 1500KG but several people that have replied to my earlier questions tow 1600KG plus and I do wander.
    I will probably spend around 4 to 5 thousand on a replacement I know I will get a good TD5 for that possibly with FSH and all the accessories you can think (more stuff to go wrong) what would I would get in Surf for that kind of dosh.
    There are lots of fully fledged 4X4s and SUVs that would suite my needs and it seems the Surf is defiantly one worth looking at again many thanks for all advice.
    Roy

You'll get a fairly good 3rd gen for that sort of cash, or go for a land cruiser
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Fairly good? You should get a mint 3rd gen with all the toys for £5k!
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        Fairly good? You should get a mint 3rd gen with all the toys for £5k!
        Yeah, my dad did.

Comment

For 5k I would be looking towards getting the intercooler.

As for towing, Toyota UK say a 4Runner will tow 2200kgs, seeing as there is no specific specs for a surf, and 2nd Gen Surf is basically a 4runner, I would use that as the towing weight.

I know others have towed more.
          Last edited by Koi; 3 August 2009, 08:24.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Go a 80 series Landcruiser

Gday Mate,
            The old disco is a good 4wd when working and go pretty much anywhere you want to throw them.

But as every one knows they are troublesome to diagnose problems, you need to be on some sort of sedatives to lower the stress levels, plus you need to earn some good cash as they are exspensive to repair.

The Surf is a more reliable and better all round car but they are starting to show there age and although Toyota UK say they can tow a 2200 kilos they struggle and chew the fuel.

Why not save up and go for a 80 series as Popeye suggested
            Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Comment

Originally posted by rjh357 View Post
              Re my earlier post “advice on buying Surf”, many thanks for all the advice on Surf over Disco, as expected there is a little bias towards the Surf but then again the Disco gets the same treatment on a land rover forum I have had some help with.
              You all seem to be aware of the tin worm problem Discos suffer with, there is a solution to that guys buy a Disco that has bean imported from Japan, it will have no rust be will maintained (now who would go to that trouble) then Wax oil it and away you go (and a Diesel one won’t crack a cylinder head lol)
              If my disco fails its MOT next year I will give very serious consideration to a 3L Surf Auto, does anyone know the maximum weight a Surf can tow is I have read 1500KG but several people that have replied to my earlier questions tow 1600KG plus and I do wander.
              I will probably spend around 4 to 5 thousand on a replacement I know I will get a good TD5 for that possibly with FSH and all the accessories you can think (more stuff to go wrong) what would I would get in Surf for that kind of dosh.
              There are lots of fully fledged 4X4s and SUVs that would suite my needs and it seems the Surf is defiantly one worth looking at again many thanks for all advice.
              Roy
              What did you get in the end?

Comment

He got a disco and had major air suspension failure, was sick daily at the ugly squareness and regrets not putting that 5k towards a minter surf. Probably on the shogun forums now asking whats best, and pajero or vitara.
                well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Last edited by muddle; 19 November 2012, 11:30. Reason: stupid phone

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                    Your phone only did what you told it to do....
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I like the later Discos, and I really really like the look of the RR Evoque. Almost enough to want one!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Your phone only did what you told it to do....
                        And where have you been recently?

Comment

With regard to the towing limit, as long as it doesn't look silly, it's only illegal if you get caught.
                          While I don't condone stupidity, as long as you take into account the load, and possible limitations on cornering and braking, you would be unlucky to get a pull just for looking like an accident waiting to happen.

Use common sense and you wouldn't really have a problem.

Having said that, the Disco does have a far better towing capacity than the Surf!

Dave.
                          Last edited by Tankerman; 20 November 2012, 00:53.

Comment

You can tow 4.5 tonnes but it will result in a cracked cylinder head as someone on ebay selling his broken surf will tell you.

Comment

Working...
                            X