Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on buying a Surf

Good day to you all
    I am the owner of an old and battered discovery 300TDI the last 3 years that will be borderline MOT pass or fail next April and I may or may not change depending on what the MOT outcome is
    If I have to change I am seriously considering Surf but need a little advice about if it is right motor for me. I have been happy with the Disco it has been reliable but needed welding last year so it is only going downhill on the rot department from there.
    I have a Disco because I caravan all year round and 2 wheel drives just don’t cut it on a muddy field on a wet winter weekend (or summer the last few years). I also do 90% of my own maintenance just the cam belt and welding farmed out, it is a simple bit of kit to look after and parts are cheap as chips.
    I also use a relatively older car for towing as my 2 Springer dogs can get wet muddy shake themselves of etc in the back and we don’t care (wife has the posh care with the leather interior etc). The rear seats stay up and the back of the car is theirs the front is mine and the wife’s most of the time.

My van is about 1200KG but I will be going for something bigger next year probably 1500 to 1600 KGs, I am not to concerned about economy my general mileage is less those 100 miles per week unless caravanning when it can be anything. If I am not caravanning 80L of diesel lasts 5 to 6 weeks which I am fine with. I also chose to lose economy and power by having an automatic; I will always stick to this option. No burnt out clutches shunting the van about and on our jam packed roads a much easier driving experience.
    I am starting my research on a replace car early as I don’t want to just dash out and buy on impulse, been there done that and had to regret the choice for a few years guess most of us have done that.
    Based on a brief description of what I need from a car honest opinions of the surfs capability and ability would be very much appreciated and valued.

Many thanks

Roy

In my opinion the Surf ( make sure its 3 litre) will be perfect for you. Parts are readily available. Servicing is well within the scope of the enthusiastic amateur and the beauty of it all is you need less of those parts, because the Surfs dont break or bio-degrade the way a Disco does. Asking your question on a Surf forum is always going to get biased answers, but I think you already know that Land rovers, which nobody will argue are great offroad and for towing, are something that you are going to spend your life fixing, while meantime you watch it slowly become a reddish brown stain on the road as it rots before your eyes. Theres lots of info here about Surfs and caravanning, theres a whole thread on it with handy advice, you might want to read.
    Id say go for it, get yourself a good 3 litre surf, maybe add an ATF cooler for your caravan forays. You will only be disappointed if you buy the lemon thats lurking around somewhere

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
      You will only be disappointed if you buy the lemon thats lurking around somewhere
      It's not for sale at the moment, I'm keeping it for now.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The Biased version is Go for it ....
        The unbiased version is spend a few hours / half a day checking Threads / Posts allaying any doubt's you may have about a Surf n it's capabilities or suitability ...
        Welcome the World of Surfing enjoy ya stay !!
        Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n won't know when tho !!!!
        Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 29 July 2009, 21:55.
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
          half a day checking Treads
          i know you old boys take some time getting around a motor, but really, a whole half day to check the treads???? i can check the treads on my lorry in a minute or 2!
          i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

well id never stuck with a car till the surf and on monday im towing my 1600kg van 250 miles with the surf,trust me u wont go wrong

Comment

i own a discovery 300tdi and im selling a 3.0 ltr surf
              they are chalk and cheese, the surf is so much better in the reliability stakes
              the disco is roomier inside and more airey but is a constant pain for mechanical failure, i even joined the AA cause i doubt its ability to get me home every time. oil leaks, water pumps, clutch actuator,oil pressure switch,starter motor,shockers,electric window frame, fuel pump wireing and lots of other bits. i have only owned it 3 months, but in its defence i only use it for off roading.

the Surf is used every day by the wife for transport to work and in 2 years it has been 100% reliable, except form a catastophic malfunction last week....................the screen wash bottle had run dry.
              it tows our 1475kgs caravan with no bother at all, just spent a week in South Wales and the trip over the crimea pass at Blaenau Ffestiniog proved no problem, temp gauge didn't move from normal.
              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by logey79 View Post
                i know you old boys take some time getting around a motor, but really, a whole half day to check the treads???? i can check the treads on my lorry in a minute or 2!
                Sorry Dave didn't me to wake ya

Buncefield Burner

Comment

Dont bother.

Flog the Disco and the wife, forget the tin snail and get yourself a Westfield, a weekend bag, a mistress and a load of posh hotel stays.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    Dont bother.

Flog the Disco and the wife, forget the tin snail and get yourself a Westfield, a weekend bag, a mistress and a load of posh hotel stays.
                    i'm tempted

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                      i own a discovery 300tdi and im selling a 3.0 ltr surf
                      they are chalk and cheese, the surf is so much better in the reliability stakes
                      the disco is roomier inside and more airey but is a constant pain for mechanical failure, i even joined the AA cause i doubt its ability to get me home every time. oil leaks, water pumps, clutch actuator,oil pressure switch,starter motor,shockers,electric window frame, fuel pump wireing and lots of other bits. i have only owned it 3 months, but in its defence i only use it for off roading.

the Surf is used every day by the wife for transport to work and in 2 years it has been 100% reliable, except form a catastophic malfunction last week....................the screen wash bottle had run dry.
                      it tows our 1475kgs caravan with no bother at all, just spent a week in South Wales and the trip over the crimea pass at Blaenau Ffestiniog proved no problem, temp gauge didn't move from normal.

this post is making you look foolish.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Go for it!!

HI, my Sur'fs been pulling my twin axle Bailey for two years ( approx 1500kg's ) no problem!! Went to the Mull of Kintyre this year, up hill and down dale without any probs AT ALL! Fuel averaged 22/23 to the gallon, but drove it hard, I've previously clocked it at about 28 solo. I've now got a roof rack permanently fixed so that won't help. NO ATF cooler, does'ent get hot, (to my knowledge, there's no temp gauge for ATF as such, just a warning light).
                        Loads of room for all the extra baggage you seem to HAVE to take on a caravan/camping trip. Easy to service, oil change a piece of Pee.
                        3Ltr, diesel auto is the way to go, preferably with Intercooler, it would appear to be a bit livelier and better mpg with.(according to the learned bretheren on this forum, am I right boys?)
                        Look after thy Surf, and thy Surf will look after you!
                        Also, one other thing of note, I've not stopped smiling since the day I first drove mine!
                        What are you waiting for?

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                          this post is making you look foolish.
                          explain?

Comment

Working...
                          X