300 Litres Of WVO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 Litres Of WVO!

Just picked up 300 litres of waste veggie from the works canteen. Once I've removed the sausage skins and fish heads it'll be ready to use!

Seriously though, once it's properly filtered that should be a good few miles of free motoring.

Now where's that WVO filtering thread?
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

hope it hasnt had any meat in it

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
      hope it hasnt had any meat in it
      That's what proper filtering and settling is for mate. It gets rid of the fatty deposits from meat products etc.

There won't be many sources of waste veggie that haven't had meat cooked in them.
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
        That's what proper filtering and settling is for mate. It gets rid of the fatty deposits from meat products etc.

There won't be many sources of waste veggie that haven't had meat cooked in them.
        rather u than me,i tried,hated the smell,clogged up anything that i want to filter it with,was a pita,but good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
          ALL mine has had meat cooked in it. Been using 60 litres a month for probably 2 years now with no issues. Fuel filters even last at least a year!

There's a lot of ######## talked about this. If you can see through it, and if there's nothing floating on the top or sitting on the bottom, lob it in and enjoy free motoring
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Near me they are selling biodiesel at about 15p cheaper than regular diesel.

Maybe make it then sell it on and pay the difference for real fuel

Rob.

Joking aside I'm actually really interested in biofuels. Love the idea of running a generator on it so no more electric bills. I think you can also get boilers that run on biodiesel. How cool would that be ? All your heating / electric / car fuel bills gone as long as you can find enough waste veg..

Comment

In my experience with veg, WVO and animal fats can cause problems even when you think you have removed them by settling/filtering and your WVO is crystal clear.

www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=54109

But with a few cheap mods to your fuel system, your engine will happily burn a small percentage of animal fats mixed in WVO.
              Mods like - removing fuel pick up pipe strainer from tank and replacing it with a removable bowl type strainer mounted in the engine bay and fitting a flat plate heat exchanger (from a combi boiler - 2nd hand off ebay) - mine now runs fine - even with small amounts of solids fats floating about.

system as follows - tank - FPHE - strainer - filter - pump - injectors.

When the engine is cold - the animal fats get caught by the strainer, once engine is warm the FPHE melts the fats in the fuel and also the solids caught in the strainer.

I think the biggest concern with WVO is the water content - but plenty of time settling or heating oil to dry it - or both will soon sort that out.

As mentioned in previous post - I'm also looking into a small diesel/WVO generator / boiler myself.
              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

It's not often Apache and i see eye to eye (as i'm taller) but i've had no probs with it either, good filter and let it stand a while and tip it in, i guess these problems start when running 100% wvo! dunno, i've nearly always mixed it with at least some derv and in cold weather added some petrol/white spirit, and as often as i can afford shoved a lt or two of ATF or redex in as well,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

and to make sure before you stick it in the tank just heat up a hot pan and drop some oil in. If it spits its still got water in it if not its good to go.

Carry a spare fuekl filter with you and make sure the old one has been slackened up and done up again only hand tight so you can easily change by the side of the road if you wish.

I love the smell of chip fat in the mornin'. Smells like... victory.

Comment

im going to have to do this. diesel is £1.05 where i am now. i can leave it settling in the garden.
                    happy free motoring once the sticky bit is done.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                    X