yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use to weatherproof a wooden roofrack/platform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to weatherproof a wooden roofrack/platform?

Just received Boycies roof rack/platform. Its made in the same way as Bundubashers with a sheet of ply held over 4 roof bars. Its great and very sturdy but whereas Bundu made it with Marine ply, Boycie used normal ply thats been varnished. Its held up pretty well but as its easy to do it now I want to treat it with something to cope with the lovely English weather.

I plan to paint or varnish it just on the top and sides as I would guess that if you do the whole thing, water will inevitably get in somewhere and with no way of breathing it'll rot from the inside out?

any ideas of what would be the best treatment? Ideally not gloss as i will be walking on the roof sometimes and some sort of textured coating would be best, but at the end of the day the most important thing is to make it last.

Thought of:
    Yacht Varnish http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13751/...t-Varnish-1Ltr
    PVA glue with sand mixed in
    HEavy duty floor paint http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86567/...r-Frigate-Grey

any thoughts?
    Attached Files

The main difference between exterior ply and normal is the glue that holds it together. Moisture makes interior ply de-laminate. I'd seal it all over rather than leave any bit open to the elements.

Personally I'd spend a few bob and buy a sheet of marine ply. (I get the other type free at work and I'd still pay for marine)

Rob.

Looking at the pic I'd also go for something thicker - 18mm maybe ? The ply in the pic is warping between roof rails and doesn't look at all sturdy.
    Last edited by wishbone; 22 July 2009, 23:44.

Comment

HI, the best thing to seal the ply is epoxy resin, varnish is a waste of time, you would need to re varnish at least 2 times a year, epoxy resin will seal it extremely well, apply minimum of 2 coats, use a fresh roller each time, pay particuler attention to the edges, and coat all sides, make sure you wear rubber gloves as it is nasty stuff if you get it on you. Use marine grade for a good tough durable finish,try this company www.epoxy-resins.co.uk.
      www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

Link above fixed

Maybe try CFS Supplies too. I'm a happy customer.

Rob.
        Last edited by wishbone; 23 July 2009, 00:17.

Comment

which ever product you use to seal the ply - add a cup or so of kiln dried sand (block paving joint filler sand) - this will give you a non slip surface on treated areas.
          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
            which ever product you use to seal the ply - add a cup or so of kiln dried sand (block paving joint filler sand) - this will give you a non slip surface on treated areas.

Judwac'll do it for ya, he's the sand in paint expert
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
              Judwac'll do it for ya, he's the sand in paint expert
              Sounds like a plan! Sod it I could just coat the entire surf inside and out in it.

Thanks for all the responses so far, but I'm not sire I can do them on a budget- moneys a bit poo this month.
              Been looking into coatings and Epoxy looks great but too pricey- looks like it'll cost around £50. Still wonder if PVA with sand in might do the job to an extent without breaking the bank?

Marine ply to size is going to be about £100 so at this stage I would rather cope with it as is and replace in the future if and when I have to. It does look warped in the pic but its not that bad in the flesh/wood.

My friend suggested roofing felt! Is he saying the Surf is a shed?? Could add a gutter and down pipe and a weather vane on top!

Comment

hi paul,
                if your looking at spending £50 quid or so, you can get some a decent sheet of marine ply,and some treatment for it.....how is the old bus, and have you sorted out that window yet??
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                  hi paul,
                  if your looking at spending £50 quid or so, you can get some a decent sheet of marine ply,and some treatment for it.....how is the old bus, and have you sorted out that window yet??
                  Hey Gra
                  Window is finally sorted and the bus is (touch wood) running thwimmingly if you don't mind a mixed metaphor thquire.

I was looking at some MP online and it seemed to be coming in at a ton for the right size (18MM ply) where can you get it that much cheaper.

Might just PVA it and if it starts warping I'll replace then...

Hows you and da fambly?

Comment

What size is the ply Paul?
                    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

It's about 214 long x 127 wide

you coming to Slindon?

Comment

214x127 Whats mate CM? if so thats wider than a standard sheet (1220mm)
                        probably why you're getting such big prices.
                        I'm in my suppliers in the morning, will make a point of asking for a price on a sheet (2440 x 1220mm )
                        Yes i'm up for Slindon, what time do we need to be there/do you want to meet somewhere/whats your route down?????
                        Do i need to bring anything other than the entry fee??

Alan

Comment

Thats the size Boycie gave me so the width is probably a bit under that (that will probably take the rack bars which may protrude a bit into account.

For Slindon the plan is to get there for 9.30. I'll probably be going form mine A24 to Beare Green then A29 I think would make sense. Happy to meet up on the way if you like? I dont think you need anything other than entry but I always take my drivers license in case they're being anal about that kind of thing

Thanks for asking for prices (18mm ideally)

Cheers

Comment

OK mate, will let you know the price tomorow!
                            Sending pm with my mobile number now!

Alan

Comment

Couldn't you leave the sheet under a landy ?

The dripping oil would seal it a treat
                              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                              X