X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help sat tv

hi all just got this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Carav...3A1%7C294%3A50
    for the caravan all seems very good put it together sat finder screaming its guts out needle off the scale but digibox thing telling me that there's no signal .do i need a card to get free view ? and how do i lock the signal .we have cable tv so haven't had any dealings with sat boxes before all help appreciated and needed.thanks steve
    Last edited by steve s; 20 July 2009, 19:32.

Hi Steve, when the sat finder screams its head of turn it back half way on the gauge, keep doing this till it will not move anymore, make sure you are not near the dish as this will cause a missread. For the normal channels you need a freeview card. Look on the net for satelite bearings, and with a compass line up the dish and use the gauge for fine tuning.
    www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

no idea but if its any good when up and running let me know

Comment

Do a rough line up of the dish with the compass, then when the meter peaks use the attenuation dial to get the reading back to low/midway on the scale. Keep tweaking the alignment, (and attenuating the meter, if needs be), until you find the peak signal. Any movement from that peak point should cause the meter reading and tone to drop. Which satellite is Freeview transmitted from? If Astra, line the dish up to 28 degrees South East, (if I remember correctly), on the compass before using the meter.

Comment

MattF is right and its 28.2 E for astra..... freq for UK sky is 11.718 or something like that but you can also get it on 12.050, 11.699, or 12.207 transponder frequencies and also use the hotbird sat's. (make sure you are on the right bird first tho.. see below)

This will help http://www.satsig.net/eut2beac.htm

http://www.sam-radford.me.uk/install.htm

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...calculator-v2/

http://www.lyngsat.com/

As the folk have said before just point the dish (exactly!) if you are receiving a signal get to where the rf meter is screaming then turn it down a bit and repeat, repeat and repeat till you are done, if it is sky goto the remote (box on) & press services then 4 0 1 and press select..... this will give you the installers menu then enter your desired freq if needed and then scan for channels (manual installation) dont worry about what it says about the phone line not being connected just follow the on screen prompts and away you go.

Hope this helps...

Oh and not being funny the tripod idea sucks as if the wind moves the dish even a degree or so out it will mess up your reception so find either a post (scaffolding or such to put into the ground) or there is a thing called an upturned dish that is good but you have to make the mount yourself...( just google or i will post the link if i can find it)

Remember that there is a delay on the on screen signal strength meter on the box and the sat finder and that the satfinder just measures RF if its the usual cheapy one and that the box will search for a given frequency to measure i.e signal strength and signal quality and you can have a great picture on not much strength. (oh and to make sure you are on the right sat the network id should be 0002 if i remember right)

Sorry if any of this is sucking eggs!

Ciao
          Last edited by wiggy; 21 July 2009, 07:58.
          The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
            Matt is right and its 28.2 E for astra..... freq for UK sky is 11.718 or something like that but you can also get it on 12.050, 11.699, or 12.207 transponder frequencies and also use the hotbird Sat's. (make sure you are on the right bird first tho.. see below)

This will help http://www.satsig.net/eut2beac.htm

http://www.sam-radford.me.uk/install.htm

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/200...calculator-v2/

http://www.lyngsat.com/

As the folk have said before just point the dish (exactly!) if you are receiving a signal get to where the rf meter is screaming then turn it down a bit and repeat, repeat and repeat till you are done, if it is sky goto the remote (box on) & press services then 4 0 1 and press select..... this will give you the installers menu then enter your desired freq if needed and then scan for channels (manual installation) dont worry about what it says about the phone line not being connected just follow the on screen prompts and away you go.

Hope this helps...

Oh and not being funny the tripod idea sucks as if the wind moves the dish even a degree or so out it will mess up your reception so find either a post (scaffolding or such to put into the ground) or there is a thing called an upturned dish that is good but you have to make the mount yourself...( just google or i will post the link if i can find it)

Remember that there is a delay on the on screen signal strength meter on the box and the sat finder and that the satfinder just measures RF if its the usual cheapy one and that the box will search for a given frequency to measure i.e signal strength and signal quality and you can have a great picture on not much strength. (oh and to make sure you are on the right sat the network id should be 0002 if i remember right)

Sorry if any of this is sucking eggs!

Ciao
            sucking eggs not at all i didn't understand a word .starting to think this is going to be a pain in the ass as i will only use it in the caravan as we are on cable at home not sure if i can be bothered to faf around like this every time we set up the van but thanks to all for the help.

Comment

if u dont want it let me know

Comment

are you going on holiday, or sitting in a box watching telly??

just get an aerial!... if that doesn't get a good signal, maybe listen to some music or have a chat?...
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                  are you going on holiday, or sitting in a box watching telly??

just get an aerial!... if that doesn't get a good signal, maybe listen to some music or have a chat?...
                  good point mate but we normally use our caravan every weekend on a little farm were we store it but the new little farm we have just moved it to has next to no tv signal so a sat dish is needed think the problem i had was caused by trees in front of my house so will try to set it up at the caravan .

Comment

but saying that, Mrs slug wasn't happy when we couldn't watch the Britains got talent final in the caravan!!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

must admit i think that most tv is 5h1t but her in doors likes it. wot can i say

Comment

Sorry for the long post before and just to clarify matters yes it is a bit of a flaf about the first time you do it (just like anything i suppose!) but after a couple of times it wont take longer than 5 - 10 min to set up and if you go to the same place just make up a small wooden stand for it with preset azimuth and elevation angles and leave it there so next time you go back you can just hook it straight up.
                        Last edited by wiggy; 22 July 2009, 08:18.
                        The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

steve,
                          switch the telly off and enjoy the "seclusion".....
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

thanks all ill try it at the caravan this week end sent for a satellite compass so that and the sat finder i should be ok .as for tv must admit i hate 90% of it but trina thinks im just a grumpy old sod and she actually likes the thing .still it gives me something to moan about.graham will you make slindon this sunday ?

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
                              sent for a satellite compass
                              What's a satellite compass?

Comment

Working...
                              X