Surf Newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Newbie!

Hi there folks. I've been lurking as a non-member while I find out general info about Surfs. Finally decided to take the plunge and join up!

I haven't actually got my hands on a Surf yet but hopefully in the next few weeks or months the right one will come up at the right price and I'll end up driving it away with a smile on my face...

In the meantime I'll no doubt carry on lurking and try to find out as much as I can. If I see anything interesting at a dealership I'll give it a test drive to get a feel for what they're like on the road.

Has anybody got any tips on me spotting a good 'un? (Beyond the obvious things that you might look for on any second hand car)

Ideally, from what I've seen so far, I'm aiming to get a 3.0 diesel. Any hints and tips will be gratefully received!

Hi n Welcome, enjoy ya stay ...
    Firstly if ya haven't already check the post/s (Scroll down)at the foot of page..
    See if ya can find a fellow member or somebody local to you, see if they let ya take a test drive n show ya round their Vehicle ..
    Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Enjoy your stay mate.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

welcome to the Surf emporium.....
        good luck with the search..
        One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Thanks for making me feel welcome folks!

Comment

Hi mate good choice if u can get a 3.0 litre.I'm allowed to have a new one for christmas and I'm upgrading to a 3.0 litre. I'm so happy its made my pig snigger
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Welcome to the nut house ......Beware the squirrel

Get a 3 ltr not a 2.4 unless you know its history.......If you you get a 3rd gen your a hairdresser
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Welcome m8.
                ** IOTY 2009! ** Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                  I'm upgrading to a 3.0 litre.
                  Im shocked, did you not mean to say that you are downgrading to a 3.0 litre.?? Its only an upgrade if you go 3rd gen

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                    Im shocked, did you not mean to say that you are downgrading to a 3.0 litre.?? Its only an upgrade if you go 3rd gen

Bogus
                    But his fingers are too fat to fit in the sissors .............
                    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse

Make yourself at home and feel free to join in the banter

It's ironic that the Yeti windbag (bio) mentions hairdressers, him who has been notorious for either his permed hair ball or his current council verge cut

Trev
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I too am new here and before I chose to buy a Surf the comments on this forum were invaluable. Anything and everything is here, somewhere!
                        I only looked at 2 surfs before I decided to buy, a 3.0 2nd Gen and a 3.0 3rd Gen. The 3rd gen had a nicer feel about it and seemed to be more "solid", I did like the whole chrome thing on the 2nd gen though. In the end I opted for a 3rd gen which was unbelievably clean with a nice Jap upgrade internal air filtration system (great for my hayfever). It had 120,000km's on the clock and I got, what I think is a pretty good deal at smidge over £2200 and having just sold my 250k mile V70 T5 for £1100 I didn't have to stump too much dosh up for it. Remember though, this car is a puller and a cruiser not a sports car, it'll troop on up to 80mph pretty swiftly but I wouldn't want to do much past 90 to be honest. I have to say the standard handling is pretty good, I have a 93 Cherokee and that handles like a 2 legged hippo on ice, well floaty! No such cornering problems with the surf though.
                        Anyway, enjoy your surf hunt, you won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post

Bogus
                          To be perfectly honest alex,the old 993 cc corsa was a bit of un upgrade on the "shed". oi ad the urge ta get allllll aggereecultural loike when oi droives it........

Originally posted by the silver surfer View Post
                          I too am new here and before I chose to buy a Surf the comments on this forum were invaluable. Anything and everything is here, somewhere!
                          I only looked at 2 surfs before I decided to buy, a 3.0 2nd Gen and a 3.0 3rd Gen. The 3rd gen had a nicer feel about it and seemed to be more "solid", I did like the whole chrome thing on the 2nd gen though. In the end I opted for a 3rd gen which was unbelievably clean with a nice Jap upgrade internal air filtration system (great for my hayfever). It had 120,000km's on the clock and I got, what I think is a pretty good deal at smidge over £2200 and having just sold my 250k mile V70 T5 for £1100 I didn't have to stump too much dosh up for it. Remember though, this car is a puller and a cruiser not a sports car, it'll troop on up to 80mph pretty swiftly but I wouldn't want to do much past 90 to be honest. I have to say the standard handling is pretty good, I have a 93 Cherokee and that handles like a 2 legged hippo on ice, well floaty! No such cornering problems with the surf though.
                          Anyway, enjoy your surf hunt, you won't regret it.
                          Or trev on the plains, i seem to remember.......
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Hope the "shed" is going to a good home then Gra!

Al
                            www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Alright al.......

Well once i have taken the goodies off (bumper,springs,shocks panhard rod etc) i might just give it a viking burial.......
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X