Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disable passenger airbag

hi guys
    hope someone can help i want to disable the passenger airbag in my 3rg gen surf as i need to put the baby seat in the front cos the seatbelts in the back are too short
    i dont see a keyswitch or any visible signs of it being an easy job
    any help would be much apprecieted as its not long till the due date
    thanks all
    danny

i'd imagine that if you un plug it then that should do the trick?....

i don't really know how they work so i wouldn't go messing, just incase it gets set off! but the steering wheel ones aren't affected if you take the steering wheel off so i'd give it a go!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      i'd imagine that if you un plug it then that should do the trick?....

i don't really know how they work so i wouldn't go messing, just incase it gets set off! but the steering wheel ones aren't affected if you take the steering wheel off so i'd give it a go!
      Before you unplug any airbag you must always disconnect the battery first. Then you have to wait (can't remember how long, was only reading it last nite too!! but I can recheck later) to ensure that any residual charge in the airbag arming system has dissapated. This is to ensure that the act of dissconnecting it does not cause the airbag to go off (dissconnecting could cause a false signal to be sent to the bag)
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I don't think your insurance company will like you disconnecting the Air Bag or any other safety feature on the vehicle.If you had a passenger in the front seat and you were in an accident and the passenger was seriously injured because the Air Bag was disconnected they might lock you up.Replace rear belts and put the baby in the back.I'm not sure what the regulations are over there but here in Australia a baby seat in front would be illegal.Much safer and could save you a lot of time and money later on.

Neville

Comment

i had the same problem in the back, it just fitted a rear facing seat (at a stretch)... try moving the mounting point, it would be easy with a couple of inc bit of strong metal, and easily revesible... also try it with the reat reclined as this seemed to give mine a bit more room.

got a forward facing seat now he's a bit bigger, and that fits a treat! and he can see out the window, which keeps him quiet!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
            I don't think your insurance company will like you disconnecting the Air Bag or any other safety feature on the vehicle.If you had a passenger in the front seat and you were in an accident and the passenger was seriously injured because the Air Bag was disconnected they might lock you up.Replace rear belts and put the baby in the back.I'm not sure what the regulations are over there but here in Australia a baby seat in front would be illegal.Much safer and could save you a lot of time and money later on.

Neville
            Good points.

Don't think the baby seat in front is illegal in uk, an increasing number of new cars have a keyswitch (or similar) to disable the passinger airbag, precisely for fitting a front (rear-facing) mounted child seat.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Depends if the airbag system is controlled as one by 1 ECU or has 2 ECU , one for each side . If you disconnect the air bag the ECU will tell the resistance has changed in the system and put the airbag light on permanant. If the passenger airbag has a seperate Ecu you would need to remove the complete system including the airbag . If it is fitted , and has no disarming key/switch by manufacture it must work and is tested as part of the MOT .
              I know this question has been asked before .
              If you are going to remove the airbag , do as said by Morr DISCONNECT the battery for 1/2 - 1 hour before disconnecting , as a residual charge is in the system and will deploy . I have seen it before , it would make you jump!
              Plus you face is not supposed to be near the airbag when it goes off , it can/has killed people who play about with them .

Rick
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
              X