Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a Surf?

Hi All,

I am considering buying a 91 SSX-R surf, but am detered by all of the negativeness surrounding Surfs. Ie: overheating problems, very expensive on parts and very difficult to get parts for the Surfs. I am in Australia and could buy this 91 for $7500 AUS. It has done 109K and is in very good condition. It appears to drive well and has been serviced regularly. According to car valuations it should be priced between 11-15K, so it seems like a bargain...!

Any comments?

Originally posted by Middo
    Hi All,

I am considering buying a 91 SSX-R surf, but am detered by all of the negativeness surrounding Surfs. Ie: overheating problems, very expensive on parts and very difficult to get parts for the Surfs. I am in Australia and could buy this 91 for $7500 AUS. It has done 109K and is in very good condition. It appears to drive well and has been serviced regularly. According to car valuations it should be priced between 11-15K, so it seems like a bargain...!

Any comments?
    Apart from the obvious - If it looks too good to be true then it probably is!

You don't say whether its a 2.4 or 3L. There have been no problems with overheating with the 3L reported in the UK, although I have seen something on the Aus site about them getting hot on long climbs in 50deg+ conditions. The cause has been found and a mod worked out.

The parts price and availability is getting better here in the UK but I don't suppose your government helped by banning Japanese imports (don't you love politicians- which one had the big lunch from Toyota Australia?)

Get a local Surf/4Runner owner to have a good look round it for you and seek the advice of the guys n gals on the Australian Surf site. They have probably been going longer than we have.
    I suppose the way to look at it is that if it is darned near half price and you have to spend a couple thousand dollars putting it right, you will still have a bargain.

Good Luck - let us know how you get on.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Hi All,

Any comments?
      Obviously a good starting point for you "being upside down and all" is to not only look here in this excellent website from blighty but to look on www.toyotasurf.asn.au. Just create a login and you'll be away.
      Gaz

Comment

Hi All,

Any comments?
        Parts for surfs are very available - who have you been asking? Genuine parts can be got just by asking on one of these forums for the part number then going to the parts counter and telling them skip the crap, you have the number when can they have it in?

A '91 is a 2.4 so un4tunately you've read all the negative posts which people tend to post, and also un4tunately you've not read the positive posts cost nobody puts them up - the ratio is 20% bad stuff, 80% helen keller

Get it looked over, if it feels good driving thats half the battle. How is the 4wd working did u try it, u have to. Is there bad CV noise from the front on lock when in 4wd, how are the CV boots. These are time consuming costly jobs. Has the timing belt been changed, was it a genuine belt? If not thats ok just half the lifespan of a genuine belts 100,000 kms changeover.
        Very important on something this old, how are the tyres??? Tyres arent cheap and could set you back a fair few quid for good new ones if the old ones arent up to it.
        How do the parts of the cooling system look. Are there any wet spots. Oil leaks too underneath are costly jobs if they come from the wrong place.
        Does the rear window work at all, PITA if you bought one with a duff motor.

That said, they're great.

Comment

hiya surfers,
          I am considering buying a early to mid 90's surf soon but can someone please advise me what to look out for web sites to read and all the usual novice FAQ's.

whats all this about the 2.4s overheating, should i opt for the 3Ltr

Comment

Originally posted by smudgersmith
            hiya surfers,
            I am considering buying a early to mid 90's surf soon but can someone please advise me what to look out for web sites to read and all the usual novice FAQ's.

whats all this about the 2.4s overheating, should i opt for the 3Ltr
            Personal choice, use the search button on here, it is a subject that has been covered many many times before. You will find more info doing a search than a couple of posts will tell you.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Working...
            X