Wierd Wheel Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd Wheel Valves

I was wondering if anyone could advise me.
    I have recently purchased a 3.0ltr 96 surf. I have just aquired a puncture (Picked up from a screw). When ATS took the tyre off from the rims the valve snapped. (Not usually an issue). However when they came to place a new valve on the rim they discovered the rims had bespoke japanese valves and the UK valves didn't fit. UK valves wouldnt fit through the hole in the rim. The valve that came off was normal size at the protuding end and thinner on the inside end. It tightened from the inside , whereas UK valves tighten from the outside. (i think)

ATS were unable to advise me or source me a new valve. and i have searched high and low.
    I was wondering if anyone new where i could get such a valve from??

My last chance is to drill to widen the hole on the rims, though this aslo has problems. ATS tell me that it will be dificult to tighten a UK valve onto the rims as they are countersunk.

I enclose pictures of the valve.. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GARP; 16 May 2004, 17:35.

can't they use the rubber ones that just pull through the hole?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

those are them funny valves roughtrax might have them or try a wheel outlet
      that sell alloys etc
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Dabigman.. The guage of a usual Valve is 8mm , but the guage of the hole is 5mm. From the pictute above you can see that this Jap Valve is the usual guage on the outside, but where it goes though the rim it is narrower (the place of the break) and then tightens with nuts and washer from the inside.

I have thought about (but reluctant to) drilling it out but....

The outside the rims are countersunk, so very difficult to get a washer or nut on.

The inside of the rim is flush and there is no countersink to secure a usual valve.

This is why this Japanese valve appears to tighten from the inside. Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

not toyota wheels either... is that arabic writing on them?... might have trouble!

Comment

i think american valves are the same go to your nearest alloy wheel centre they should have them
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

thanks i will try all suggestions.

I sense this is not going to be straight forward I have only just spent a fortnight trying to get the pesky locked wheel nuts off. (The car came without the key cap).. I only discovered i didn't have it on the forcourt of ATS.!! 2 weeks ago when i started this quest to get my puncture mended. Only had the car 3 weeks!! THough at least after todays fitting of a frequency expander i can now listen to more than radio 2!!

Comment

Originally posted by GARP
                thanks i will try all suggestions.

I sense this is not going to be straight forward I have only just spent a fortnight trying to get the pesky locked wheel nuts off. (The car came without the key cap).. I only discovered i didn't have it on the forcourt of ATS.!! 2 weeks ago when i started this quest to get my puncture mended. Only had the car 3 weeks!! THough at least after todays fitting of a frequency expander i can now listen to more than radio 2!!
                hehehe!!.... that's what you think!!!

Comment

The writing on the rims is Chinese and they were made in Taiwan by VIA/Orion Industries like the Dakar replicas you see on lots of Surfs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Elvz.... Do you know where to get the valves from?

Comment

Orion is a major producer of aftermarket alloys and I think the valve design is some sort of standard. Most alloy wheel sellers should stock these valves.

Comment

similar sino-arabic on mine too normal valves though not drilled out either

Comment

Working...
                        X