Hacked off !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked off !

My better half is a bit odd - she thinks that the nice chunky GG AT2 hanging on the back of the Surf is an invitation for some scrote to come along and help himself (Despite the locking wheelnut holding it on). So she decided that she wants a stainless steel wheelcover ....

I found one on eBay, the supplier had excellent feedback so I ordered one on Sunday night and it arrived Tuesday morning. I tried fitting it last night without success so this afternoon I measured the circumference of the tyre and the max/min circumference of the wheelcover.

As I suspected there's at least an inch difference so I contacted the eBay retailer and within 5 mins (literally !) he rang me back. He claimed that the circumference for a 265/70/R16 is 96" as opposed to the 97.75" that my GG AT2 is.

The upshot is that I've got to return the wheelcover as they don't make one that'll fit.

I've been onto a couple of tyre calculator websites and all the indications are that he's correct - 265/70/R16's ARE 96" circumference and I can't find an alternative tyre size that meets the spec !!!!

Totally hacked off - and I KNOW the Boss is going to give me rockall when she gets home on Saturday cos it's all my fault .....

Life is too important to take seriously !

let some air out of the spare?

Comment

Tried that - no good at all !

Just a thought, can somebody with 265/70/R16 road tyres measure the circumference and post it on here please ?

Comment

could be that the wheel cover is made for a road Tyre and not one with chunky tread
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking BUT that doesn't really make sense and also means that you'd have a different speedo error dependent on what tyres you're running .....

Comment

In the absence of Rod (who will no doubt be along soon) I think muds and road tyres and indeed different makes do come up a different actual size despite being the 'same' size in terms of their measurement numbers they have printed on them. This will also make their speedo offset different.

Comment

We had this exact problem with a wheel cover, stainless steel outer type, supposed to fit, but didnt, tyre to large.

Took me a while to figure out what to do though........ the lock on the one we have is adjustable, there is a hook latcher type thingymajig that is on a thread, just wound it out a few turns and it now reaches and closes fine.

Comment

ive got 265/70/16's on mine bob,let me know and ill pop outside with a tape measure,fronts are firestone road tyres,backs are bfg at's

Comment

I'm here!!

Right, the tread pattern wont make a difference to the tyre size.. However, Tyre sizes vary a lot when it comes down to who makes the damn things!

Super swamper are well out.. a 33" TSL is actually 34" , BFG read under by around 0.5".. My 35's were 34.5's.

Comment

Cheers Andy !

To be honest it's largely irrelevant if nobody makes a wheelcover to fit a wheel with a circumference of 97.75" but if you've got the time to measure the tyres circumference then at least we'll end up knowing a little more

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

Cheers Andy !

To be honest it's largely irrelevant if nobody makes a wheelcover to fit a wheel with a circumference of 97.75" but if you've got the time to measure the tyres circumference then at least we'll end up knowing a little more

ok gimme a few mins to find a tape measure an get kids to bed....

Comment

No worries Andy - I'm just glad mine are past putting to bed !

I found it easier to measure the circumference with a piece of string cos my tape measure's got a mind of it's own .......

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

No worries Andy - I'm just glad mine are past putting to bed !

I found it easier to measure the circumference with a piece of string cos my tape measure's got a mind of it's own .......

Just tried measuring mine with a piece of string, but i was taking so long marking all those little 1/8th of an inch lines on the string i gave up!!

Alan
                          www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

You lot are good it has to be said...... if you make a mark on the bottom of the tyre with a yellow crayon and and mark on the ground that coresponds with it, roll the vehicle forward ( or backwards) till the mark comes round to meet the ground again, the distance between the two ground marks is the circumfrence.

Comment

Smooth move - unfortunately I'm on my own today so it would be a bit hit and miss !

Besides I can run a piece of string round my rear mounted spare without having to bend down .....

Comment

Working...
                              X