Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf MK 3 high intermittent revving

Non-surf related I know but any ideas?
    I’m not the the most mechanically minded individual on the planet but am learning slowly but surely and thanks to the Surf and this forum can find my way around a motor to an extent and know how to hold a Haynes manual

My dads Mk 3 Golf hasn’t been serviced in a couple of years sio bought a Haynes manual and thought I would do a few of the easier jobs.
    Drained the engine oil and replaced the filter all fine.

Replaced pollen filter (I think you’ll agree I was stretching myself here)

Replaced the air filter
    The air filter was slightly different than described in the Haynes. Rather than a clip-off cover there were actually screws to remove, some of which held the lid to replace the filter which I duly did (circular filter which squashed to fit the oval filter housing) and some which anchored the whole housing to the top of the engine (took these out to lift it out to have a look at connectors etc underneath. Spark plugs and throttle cable were underneath.
    Replaced all and screwed in screws. One of those holding the lid in place had to be drilled out as someone had destroyed the top of it but the lid seems to be tight on without it.

I drove it around the block a few times after doing all this and all was well.

However, since then my dad has found its been revving oddly.
    I went to have a look at it and its idling at around 1000RPM (seems a bit high but he doesn’t remember whats normal) but after idling for a bit it pulses up to 1700 RPM for a few seconds then back down to 1000. does this intermittently and it has been happening when he’s driving.

As the throttle cable was underneath the air box I took it off again and replaced it making sure it didn’t seem to be fouling anything and took it for a drive. It seemed fine but he just called me to say it happened again when he drove it last night.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by biosurf; 24 June 2009, 14:35.

if u look at the pipe coming off the filter u will see a couple of wires going to a sensor,this is a maf/mass air flow sensor,id guess u have broken the wires to it or unplugged them, not put them back on,that will be your prob

Comment

Thanks Andy

Comment

so is it fixed then?
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Calm down! I have tried fixing it my long range telekinesis from work but to no avail.

In Tooting with my lady tonight for curry so I'm going to try and sort it for him tomorrow

Comment

Doh! Passed on the info to my dad who I thought had sorted it but turns out its still been doing the same thing.
            Do you know where on the pic is the MAF? all wires I've looked at seem Ok?

Thanks
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

being cack at computers i cant enlarge image,maf sensor will be a plug with 2/3 wires going to a plug and it will be on one of the big air pipes off the air box,should be pretty close to the airbox itself

Comment

any good?
                [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

nope lol,when u took the airbox and pipe off was there anything connected to them,ie cables?

Comment

Working...
                  X