yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS for smartphones (store maps internal?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS for smartphones (store maps internal?)

hi,
    im going away next week, and i have a blackberry curve and a HTC diamond which runs windows.
    i would like to have the GPS maps loaded from the internal memory instead of downloading what it needs over the 3g because this was a little expensive last time and i nearly got a bollocking.

i have the blackberry "maps" and i have google maps installed, but i dont think these have the option to pre-download the maps.

does anyone know of any free applications that i can download just for the trip to usa where i can run pre-downloaded maps for the gps?
    i might not even need it, but i did last year as the rental car didnt have gps and i didnt know where the hell i was in the desert somewhere.

cheers!
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

For the HTC try looking for KINGMAP and picking the states you want - you may need to get a bluetooth GPS receiver though.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

cheers trev i will take a look.
      my htc has inbuilt GPS, is this no good?
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Shame you've not got a Nokia .. they have the maps that you can pre load. Just maps though, no navigation (you pay for that)

I've also got TomTom on my N series for navigation, but that needs a external GPS too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bibbs View Post
          Shame you've not got a Nokia .. they have the maps that you can pre load. Just maps though, no navigation (you pay for that)

I've also got TomTom on my N series for navigation, but that needs a external GPS too.
          hi bibs, whats the program called? i will look it up.

usually google maps is just what i need to get about but it uses the internet to download the maps on the fly. doing this abroad cost the people i work for £90 last year so dont want to do that again.

i think i have to pay for tomtom.

i have GPS built into the phone, so its handy - you dont have to remember to take any additional things with you
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Called "Nokia Maps" ..

I got TomTom on Symbian, but needed a hack to get the internal GPS working. It basically runs two programs in parallel, one is TomTom requiring a bluetooth GPS, and the other opens the phone AS a bluetooth GPS. Then link the two together.

Comment

Working...
            X