Fuel tank / fuel tank shield removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank / fuel tank shield removal

Can anyone help? I wanted to take the fuel tank shield off today, looked simple, but then to the front of the vehicle, there are three bolts holding it on, but it looked to me like they also hold the fuel tank itself on?!?

All the other shield bolts are separate from the fuel tank, and at the rear the fuel tank looks like it is held on with a strap, but this front section is baffling me, and I am obviously worried to unbolt it and have the whole (full of fuel) tank drop down, not doubt breaking things including me.

Anyone done this before? Am I right?

the bolts that support the fuel tank may well support the shield as well. can you get a stand under it, and support that tank / shield and remove the bolts and slide the shield away and bolt the tank back up?

out of curiosity why are you removing the shield?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It's tricky to support the tank itself as the shield wraps round it. Seems kinda daft design!

I want to remove it as it's a bit rusty and want to clean it up + paint it. Have taken running boards off so it is in view now.

Comment

The tank guard is seperate from the tank and is held on by it's own bolts.

Comment

3rd gen, right?

I take it you have done it yourself whilst working on your truck?

Comment

Originally posted by joecuba View Post
            3rd gen, right?

I take it you have done it yourself whilst working on your truck?
            You doubting me??!!

Yes I've done the job on both my trucks, 2nd and 3rd gen.

Here's confirmation if you need it.
            http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...APXT_7751.html

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              You doubting me??!!
              Shouldn't the exclamation marks be before the question marks?
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Sorry mate, just looking for confirmation.

From your diagram, looks like there are only two bolts holding on the shield at the front, the middle one is cutout and looks like it holds the tank up. I'll have another look tomorrow when I am less tired!

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  Shouldn't the exclamation marks be before the question marks?
                  The question marks were nearer.

Comment

Originally posted by joecuba View Post
                    Sorry mate, just looking for confirmation.

From your diagram, looks like there are only two bolts holding on the shield at the front, the middle one is cutout and looks like it holds the tank up. I'll have another look tomorrow when I am less tired!

Many thanks.
                    I think the "middle one" you are refering to is the tank drain plug??
                    shield supported at ends only!
                    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                      I think the "middle one" you are refering to is the tank drain plug??
                      shield supported at ends only!
                      What I am referring to in this post is the three bolts that are along the edge of the tank / shield to the front of the truck. The three bolts are in a row, quite close together. From what I can see from Bushwhackers linked diagram is the two outermost bolts hold on the shield, and the one in the middle does not hold on the shield, but holds the tank. I didn't see the cutout for the middle bolt on the shields mounting, but I'll have another look today and check for this.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X