Thoughts on this eBay surf please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this eBay surf please

My mate is looking fir an LPG vehicle and has spotted a Surf on eBay. Anyone got any advice on this one? Do a search for LPG Surf it's up north blue 1992. Sorry I'm on iPhone so can't copypaste the item link. Any thoughts much appreciated. 40 mpg equivalent doesn't seem very good for Lpg.
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

This one.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...3A1%7C294%3A50
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Just for the record, if its for economys sake I would really, really advise him to go for using veg rather than LPG if he can put up with searching out a source of used oil. Its nowhere near as much of a saving to use LPG as it once was.

Many people have heard so many horror stories about bio and veg that they dont even consider it as an option but members on here have shown that Surfs seem very tolerant of veg.

I do understand that its not for everyone though

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
        Yes, matey, that's the beastie.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
          Just for the record, if its for economys sake I would really, really advise him to go for using veg rather than LPG if he can put up with searching out a source of used oil. Its nowhere near as much of a saving to use LPG as it once was.
          I do understand that its not for everyone though
          Yep , he was suggesting 70mpg cost equivalent. Perhaps in a lighter vehicle, but a Surf? Sounds a bit optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster View Post
            Yep , he was suggesting 70mpg cost equivalent. Perhaps in a lighter vehicle, but a Surf? Sounds a bit optimistic.
            If LPG is about 35ppl it won't be far off that?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

7 seats? have i lost 2 in mine
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Maybe got one of them bolt on thinges in the boot?
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The 3:0 V6 Petrol does around 16 mpg. LPG is not as efficient as petrol so probably does around 12 mpg, but LPG is cheaper to buy @ around 50p on the forecourt. So the running cost would be similar to a vehicle that does around 24 mpg. Or nearer 30mpg if you can find LPG at a lower price.
                  Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Whereas cost wise running veg (with a mix of petrol and diesel etc.) works out at (very quick calculation) 100mpg equivalent cost... ish.

Comment

Hows, your bio-stuff going paul??
                      (and out of interest what are you adding to the filtered veg?)

Alan
                      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Hey Alan
                        All going good so far thanks - just using veg rather than making bio (should change my handle really!) For the concentrations see here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55767

Basically in this weather 90% veg 10% petrol added seems fine. I do add veggie boost with is a cetane enhancer which makes for a bit more 'go' but isn't essential.

Comment

I once owned a Land Rover fitted with a LPG kit and it was far from reliable.
                          Personally I wouldn’t buy an LPG equipped vehicle..... nor would I want to try running a diesel on veg oil. I know lots of people here do, but I could not put up with clogged filters, leaking fuel pumps or all the messing about mixing oil/diesel...... reliability is far more important to me than trying to save a few measly pennies.
                          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                            but I could not put up with clogged filters, leaking fuel pumps or all the messing about mixing oil/diesel...... reliability is far more important to me than trying to save a few measly pennies.
                            Had one clogged filter when I started using veg. Had some seals go about 3 years ago, but they were 14 years old and hardened, so would have gone sooner or later anyway. Dont mix it, just pour it in. 60 litres a month for nowt.

Therefore, no reliability issues in last 3 years.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I have 3 vehicles on LPG, (2 Jeeps & 1 Land Rover)
                              It certainly is cheaper to run, but the LPG systems do need looking after, changing filters etc, also I have noticed that running on LPG tends to eat Leads and plugs faster.
                              But don't be scared of LPG, it gives a huge range to your vehicle when on a long trip.
                              As the previous poster says, you do lose about 15% power, which means you will lose about 15% MPG.
                              Oil looks a lot cleaner on the LPG cars when I change it.
                              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
                              X