End of the road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the road?

Surf failed mot on leaking fuel pump, I do have a s/h one, but too big of a job for me to spare the time or money (for a mechanic) as it's an 8 hour job.

I guess the Wales trip is off too.

Rob

Still working for the man!

Why is it an 8 hour job to replace a fuel pump?

Drain
    Undo 2 hoses
    Undo some power connectors
    Unbolt pump
    Bolt on new one
    Connect power
    Connect fuel line
    Prime
    Go.

Comment

Injector, not fuel.

Comment

So replacing the cylinderhead on a 2.4 is easier than replacing the fuel/injector pump????

Comment

I don't know, I'm not a mechanic, but I think there was a couple of write ups done, and basically not for the feint hearted....
          I'll go look, back soon..................
          Rob

Comment

Does it really matter regarding the specific timeframes? For someone who has never done the job, it will take a damned sight longer than someone who has previous experience.

Comment

I know I have bleated on about this before but I'm sure there would be scope for those on the forum who have been unfortunate enough to lose their jobs but have expereince of working on Surfs (or even just need some extra moonlighting cash) to take on jobs like this if they seriously undercut the price the mechanics charge (maybe doing a cost per job) and maybe doing it alongside the member needing the work done?

I've certainly paid through the nose for mechnics to do jobs that a more mechanically minded person would probably find easy and would prefer a forum member to have the cash.

And before Albannach gets his knickers in a twist, of course I only mean this for some jobs not those that could affect safety like the braking system etc.

Comment

TonyN used to do it before he went into property developing,

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                  to take on jobs like this if they seriously undercut the price the mechanics charge
                  Why should they? There is a big difference between screwing people, charging a fair price and working for peanuts. Good work deserves good pay, irrelevant of circumstances. Plus, if someone did do this as either a sideline or full time thing, they would need to obtain public liability insurance and such to cover themselves in worst case scenarios, so slitting their own throats, (financially speaking), is hardly ideal.

Comment

Well I don't mind driving it somewhere, although with not MOT or tax, it's risky, but needs must when the devil pukes in ya kettle!
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                      irrelevant of circumstances.
                      <pedant> irrespective </pedant>

Back o' the net!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                        I know I have bleated on about this before but I'm sure there would be scope for those on the forum who have been unfortunate enough to lose their jobs but have expereince of working on Surfs (or even just need some extra moonlighting cash) to take on jobs like this if they seriously undercut the price the mechanics charge (maybe doing a cost per job) and maybe doing it alongside the member needing the work done?

I've certainly paid through the nose for mechnics to do jobs that a more mechanically minded person would probably find easy and would prefer a forum member to have the cash.

And before Albannach gets his knickers in a twist, of course I only mean this for some jobs not those that could affect safety like the braking system etc.
                        This is what i am going to be aiming at doing myself aswell as doing the spares.
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          <pedant> irrespective </pedant>

Back o' the net!
                          Either suffice. Other than it possibly being 'not normal' context, it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            Either suffice. Other than it possibly being 'not normal' context, it works fine.
                            Maybe sufficient for a northern monkey who dont speak proper like what I does.
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              Maybe sufficient for a northern monkey who dont speak proper like what I does.
                              In all honesty, with all of the b@stardisations and mis-spellings which get thrown at every one of us on a daily basis, (especially by the media), I'm surprised any of us still know how to spell correctly or use correct grammar at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X