Coolant check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant check?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question (and if it comes from me it probably is) but I've just tried to check the coolant level on my wagon but I cant see any marks on the header tank for high/low filler levels. I've got a ###### great big battery right up against it and all I can see is a small portion of the side. Does anyone know how much is supposed to be in it?

Originally posted by robbie1958 View Post
    Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question (and if it comes from me it probably is) but I've just tried to check the coolant level on my wagon but I cant see any marks on the header tank for high/low filler levels. I've got a ###### great big battery right up against it and all I can see is a small portion of the side. Does anyone know how much is supposed to be in it?

No more than a third to half full when the engine is stone cold.

Comment

Many thanks......Any idea why they designed it like that?

Comment

Hi Robbie,

Because it's an expansion tank. As the engine warms
        up and the pressure builds, water overflows into this tank,
        then, as it cools it is drawn back into the engine. To check
        the coolant level simply remove the rad cap, (when cool)
        water should be just below the top.
        Hope this helps.

Gman.
        If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Markings are on the back where you can't see them, but you can see where the bottle needs to be filled to, if you look at the engine side, where the step is.

Nev

Comment

Thanks ever so much guys. I'm afraid I'm not very mechanically minded but this is the first car I've owned for years that I really can get entusiastic about and I want to try and keep it in as good a condition as I can. Therefore beware that more questions will be coming and I'm afraid the explanations will have to be like those already posted for me, in very simple laymans terms.
            Thanks again guys

Comment

don't worry robbie - i'm the same...so far though people on here have been spot on and more than happy to help out with useful advice etc...

big up the hilux surf forum

Comment

Working...
              X