First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impressions

Zdravo, I'm new to Surfs but not new to 4 wheeling in general.
    I still own a couple of Jeeps and a Land Rover and an Isuzu.
    I have wanted a Surf for a number of years but never got one because it was always cheaper to buy a Cherokee or Discovery etc.
    Anyway I've bitten the bullet and bought a Surf. I'm very impressed, everything still works!! the A/C works, the sunroof doesn't leak, the windows go up and down etc.
    I have searched on here and found out what all the buttons do. (the rear window to open the door is a bit weird)
    What I would like to know is what is the surf like at towing? any idea of what caravan nose weight I should go with? BTW I just drove 2200Km back home to Serbia and at 70-80 MPH it returned about 9 litres per 100 KM
    I think thats around 31 miles per galllon, it didn't use a drop of oil or water. (I did solder up a crack on the top of the rad before I left)
    So yeah, I'm converted.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Oh, and one more question... Does it help if you set the suspension to 'Hard' when towing?

Comment

I normally have the nose weight around 80kgs and she tows a dream, not bad as I have the underpowered, fuel guzzelling 2.4 (the 3.0 is much better).

When towing having the suspension set to hard does tend to improve the drive, as it reduces some of the roll caused by the extra weight on the rear, but really it's best to find out what feels best to you. Of course the best thing is to replace your rear springs with 20% stiffer (I did this to my sisters truck and her husband noticed the difference imediately).

If you are really getting about 31mpg, then stop bragging, cause no one will like you, especially me (21mpg average). If yours is the 3.0 (it helps if you update your profile) then you should return mid 20's to low 30's (probably about 25mpg to 27mpg in reallity). If you've got the 2.4 the expect 18mpg to 24mpg, these things really were not designed with fuel economy in mind.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

On the motorways I was putting in 40 litres and getting 400 km's which is 10L/100kms, If I kept it nearer 70 mph (assuming the speedo is correct) I was doing 400 km's and putting in 36 litres,
        I am happy with mid 20's.
        My land rover (V8) or Jeeps would never see 20 MPG!
        Diesel here is cheaper than Petrol (the way it should be)
        I haven't driven it around since I got home as my wife seems to have 'claimed' it.
        Thanks for the towing advice, I'm gonna tow the 'van to Greece in a few weeks.

Comment

Welcome to the mad house ......beware the hedgehog
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
            On the motorways I was putting in 40 litres and getting 400 Kim's which is 10L/100kms, If I kept it nearer 70 mph (assuming the speedo is correct) I was doing 400 km's and putting in 36 litres,

?? I have a 2.4 and put in 60 ltrs and get on average km ...how are you getting 400km on 36 ltrs and towing... something not right there.....???

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
              ?? I have a 2.4 and put in 60 ltrs and get on average km ...how are you getting 400km on 36 ltrs and towing... something not right there.....???
              No, I haven't towed with it yet.
              I've only just got the thing home,

I worked out the mileage driving the surf home (without a caravan)
              The figures are not gospel because in a few garages the attendant put the diesel in, and he maybe stopped on the first 'click'
              What I am saying is that I am happy with the MPG I'm getting.
              I am not usually one who religiously keeps a record of my MPG, but I do on long trips 'cos it keeps the mind occupied.
              Last edited by slobodan; 2 June 2009, 18:53.

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                Welcome to the mad house ......beware the hedgehog
                Which one's the 'edgehog?

Comment

I don't keep track of my mileage but I do set the ? little km counter when I fill the tank. It takes 60 ltrs having run it on the red light for 15km... then I know I must fill it up soon but I still only get 420 ish km out of the tank from what you are saying if you filled up and ran it till empty you would get 600km to the tank......there are very few surfs on the forum doing more than 500km to the tank or any where near that. I may be corrected by someone on here but I don't think so but if your are getting that mileage then you will be the happiest surf owner as that appears to be the only downer of owning a surf!! enjoy it

Cheers Mark

Comment

Hi Slobodan, welcome to the nuthouse.

Make yourself at home and feel free to join in the banter.

The hedgehog is Lurch, he's our walking pin cushion

Don't let him stand on your toes, he weighs a ton

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by That Ruddy Squirrel View Post

Trev
                      Thanks for the welcome fella's
                      I'll be picking yer brains in the coming months,
                      I have a few plans for the surf.

Comment

Originally posted by That Ruddy Squirrel View Post

Make yourself at home and feel free to join in the banter.

The hedgehog is Lurch, he's our walking pin cushion

Don't let him stand on your toes, he weighs a ton

Trev
                        That be me. And its a ton and a half i thank you very much....................
                        Working at last.......

Comment

It use to be welcome to the nut house beware the squirrel ..............but only idiots have to do that

there are plenty of brains on here to pick and the search button works well too
                          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Dobar Dan Slobodan, Kako ste ? Nice to see youve finally made a sensible choice of vehicle after jeep and lame rover ownership. Where in Serbia are you located?

Bogus
                            Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                              Dobar Dan Slobodan, Kako ste ? Nice to see youve finally made a sensible choice of vehicle after jeep and lame rover ownership. Where in Serbia are you located?

Bogus

dobro vece, ja sam dobro, hvala. Ali ja nisam Srbin....Ja sam Englez...

I live Near Novi Sad.

I off-road all over Serbia, in this.

The surf is for Daily driving and towing.

Comment

Working...
                              X