Biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel

My apologies for what is probably a repeat question, but I'm new here with my first surf.
    I may be able to obtain a supply of biodiesel, is there anything I should be wary of when putting it in my 3.0 surf? I have heard that after 1 or 2 tankfuls I should change fuel filter as bio will act as a cleaning agent and flush any crap in tank and lines down to the filter, is priming the system after filter change easy?

i use many things in mine over the years
    change the filter once long ago
    so if its all ready filted mate i wont worry too much
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

It's worth considering why you're using it - as cost wise, there's not much in it sometimes...but if it's for green reasons, then veg oil would do it..

I'd check and potentially change the filter at some point - not per two tank fulls though, that's a lot of filters...

One thing to bear in mind is that some on here had issues of leaks around the fuel pump, and I've had issues with the injectors getting clogged, so worth bearing that in mind, but mostly no major issues.
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

sorry I did mean change the filter after the first 1 or 2 tank fulls not every 2, I can get it at a very reasonable cost, much cheaper than normal pump diesel so it would be for economic reasons.
        the possible leakage problems would be down to the methanol content as methanol does perish rubber, but it is mixed with the oil so it is not as strong as it would be in neat form

Comment

I've ran mine on 75/25 SVO/DINO for years now with no probs.
          In January i built my own WVO process plant and since I've been running on my own WVO that I collect from local businesses.
          cost wise - running with 75 % WVO/DINO works out the same cost as processing the WVO into bio - once you buy the methanol / NaHO etc etc.
          Only recently I had a problem with a blocked fuel tank pick up pipe strainer, but apart from that - no problems. I changed my fuel filter twice in the first few months, out of precaution- not because they were blocked.
          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

did you have to change to a lucas pump?
            excuse my ignorance on the issue i just read somewere its the pumps that go and a lucas swap does the trick
            Grey 2.4 Diesel surf on J plate

Comment

Originally posted by jaceuk View Post
              excuse my ignorance on the issue i just read somewere its the pumps that go and a lucas swap does the trick
              Nope - everthing is standard

Comment

i had a guy mention to me that if you get pulled and found using it they can tax you on it as there has none been payed but it could be a load of codswollop

Comment

so how do they tell if it was purchased from a reputable source inc. tax or home grown?
                  and it was my understanding that you could produce 2500 litres a year yourself without need for registration or tax payable, anymore than that then tax is payable, please correct me if that is wrong

Comment

Originally posted by mickyd View Post
                    so how do they tell if it was purchased from a reputable source inc. tax or home grown?
                    and it was my understanding that you could produce 2500 litres a year yourself without need for registration or tax payable, anymore than that then tax is payable, please correct me if that is wrong
                    hence the codswallop

Comment

Until a few years ago - you "had" to be registered with HMCE as a fuel producer and pay tax on the fuel you produced/used - something like 47pence per litre.
                      HMCE then realised that the money they were receiving in tax payments from those few honest folk was not enough to pay the overheads and wages for the department to control and collect tax from alternative fuels - and promptly changed the threshold for taxation.
                      (The above is only my understanding and may well have other implications other than my deductions - but for whatever reason - the HMCE HAVE changed the goal posts)
                      So since then you are legally allowed to produce/use upto 2500 litres per year without having to be registered or required to pay tax.
                      you are required (I think) to keep a record of fuel produced/used) for 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jaceuk View Post
                        hi

this is the wrong way around. there are two main types of fuel pump lucas and bosch. the rule of thumb is that bosch are fine on veg oil and biodiesel and lucas are not. If the bio is made perfectly then it should be fine witheither but I would always err on the side of caution. surfs use a bosch style pump.
                        if buying bio its a good idea to check the quality of a small sample. for methods look at the vegetableoildiesel forum

Comment

Working...
                        X