Demijohn question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demijohn question

I know there will be some glass container geek somewhere on here, so a quick question.

What did dairies ship in 1Gal Demijohn's? Pre 1965.

Originally posted by MattF View Post
    I know there will be some glass container geek somewhere on here, so a quick question.

What did dairies ship in 1Gal Demijohn's? Pre 1965.

Would it be milk by any chance???

and would a 2 gallon glass vessel be called a "John"??
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
      Would it be milk by any chance???
      No idea. That's why I'm asking. I've no idea if they were ever standard milk containers, hence the question.

Comment

What else would a dairy ship, prior to 1965??
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Moonshine?

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
            What else would a dairy ship, prior to 1965??
            I'm gonna start humming the Magic Roundabout tune shortly.

No idea. That's why I'm asking. I've no idea if they were ever standard milk containers, hence the question.

Comment

They are good for making sloe gin in though

Try reading through this lot matt ........i cannot be bothered but it may help

http://www.bottlebooks.com/demijohn/...y_demijohn.htm
              Last edited by BioHazard; 27 May 2009, 15:40.
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                They are good for making sloe gin in though

Had a delving session in one of the old orchard buildings yesterday and found eight 1Gal Demijohn's, (one Associated Dairies, pre Asda, hence the curiosity), and a round Carboy. The chap who put them there passed on a good few years ago, (grand chap he was too), but someone else had been using that building since then, so it was the first chance I've had to go in there for over fifteen years or so, before they clear it out and skip everything.

Comment

Had a delving session in one of the old orchard buildings yesterday and found eight 1Gal Demijohn's, (one Associated Dairies, pre Asda, hence the curiosity), and a round Carboy. The chap who put them there passed on a good few years ago, (grand chap he was too), but someone else had been using that building since then, so it was the first chance I've had to go in there for over fifteen years or so, before they clear it out and skip everything.
                  wow ........ make some wine the carbouy may have been for chemicals though . becareful what you skip , old tools , cider making equipment and some other old things fetch a fortune on fleabay due to the rareity of things now .......the dairy on may appeal to a collector as well

http://www.milkbottlenews.org.uk/fea.../passion1.html

Comment

Hello Matt

The COOP at Barnsley (summer lane) used to have sterilizer acid in the carbouys apparently they decanted the stuff into demijohns before flushing the bottling system, just been and asked a guy who used to work there,how is the Austin coming along ?
                    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

wow ........ make some wine the carbouy may have been for chemicals though .
                      The Carboy definitely seems to be of the chemical variety. The wench has been given that, (on pain of death if she damages it ), to use as an indoor planter for a cactus.

becareful what you skip , old tools , cider making equipment and some other old things fetch a fortune on fleabay due to the rareity of things now .......the dairy on may appeal to a collector as well
                      You're talking to a consumate hoarder here. I value stuff far more highly on sentiment value or usability than cash. Plus, I have a bit of a liking for glass containers for some weird reason. Can still remember the chap, (and his wife), as if it was yesterday too. Absolute fountain of knowledge he was, (retired teacher, old school type). A quick question always ended up having a several hours long explanation. We had some eccentric neighbours, (to put it subtly), when I was growing up. One learnt plenty from them though.

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
                        The COOP at Barnsley (summer lane) used to have sterilizer acid in the carbouys apparently they decanted the stuff into demijohns before flushing the bottling system, just been and asked a guy who used to work there
                        That's most likely what that combo was for then. Cheers for that info John. Highly appreciated.

how is the Austin coming along ?
                        Still in the process of clearing out the workshops so I can make room to get her in the front workshop. It's gutting. I've had to be brutal and clear out years worths of hoarding. I'm even having to get rid of some of my spares and such to make more storage room for shifting stuff around. I'll be in shock for weeks after this clearout.

Comment

I wish i could Hoard stuff but i am limited by the area i can use , need to make some room in the garage soon, so i think a clear-out of old fishing gear is coming

Comment

I wish i could Hoard stuff but i am limited by the area i can use , need to make some room in the garage soon, so i think a clear-out of old fishing gear is coming
                            Resist if you can. It's killing me having to get rid of stuff. Got one of the engineers I used to work with calling round to sort through some stuff this weekend that I'm getting rid of, to see what he wants. It's gutting. At least I know it'll be getting some use that way though. Better than skipping it or letting muppets get their hands on it.

Comment

Just on the clearout bit, anyone here got any use for, (it needs restoring), an old manual pulley/winch? It's a big heavy bugger, (just about liftable by one person). Can't remember exactly what it's off, (but can find out). I'll take a pic later if anyone might be interested. It would need picking up though, due to the weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X