Under Pressure!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Pressure!!!!!!!

Hi all, there are probably many posts answering this question but needle's n haystacks........

I have been using my surf most week ends for clearing the garage and moving rubble and scrap.... its great!! still not to sure about off road and long journey's. After driving a few miles and the engine warms up the rad pipes get a bit harder than i think they should. it doesn't overheat but does push out a bit of water may be a pint or so. The heaters work fine. it has new pump and rad and alegedly the head has been done, viscouse fan and electric fan ok ( i drove it 240M north from Essex without overheating but had to put quite a lot of water in when i got home! )
    Hopefully will have time next week to investigate more but I'm sure some words of wisdom from the surfly wise will save me hours.

Steve

The normal reply is ......................

Check you have no leaks in the coolant system , then change the rad cap and thermostat , flush the system through , refill checking the system is burped correctly( make sure rear heater is open too). then if problen continues , get the coolant checked with a block tester .

Do you know if the water pump was changed when the head was replaced

oh and if it's been offroaded check the rad had not become a Mud brick
    I would do the thermostat and rad cap first then get the system checked

The other evil thing in the system is the waterpump
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

One (stupid) question. Where are you topping it up? If you're filling up the expansion bottle, it will chuck water out of there. It should only be about half full when cold.

Comment

If the pipes are very hard when running.The heads on the way out it's causing presure in the coolant system.
        Will get worse in due course.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wanstall View Post
          Hi all, there are probably many posts answering this question but needle's n haystacks........

I have been using my surf most week ends for clearing the garage and moving rubble and scrap.... its great!! still not to sure about off road and long journey's. After driving a few miles and the engine warms up the rad pipes get a bit harder than i think they should. it doesn't overheat but does push out a bit of water may be a pint or so. The heaters work fine. it has new pump and rad and alegedly the head has been done, viscouse fan and electric fan ok ( i drove it 240M north from Essex without overheating but had to put quite a lot of water in when i got home! )
          Hopefully will have time next week to investigate more but I'm sure some words of wisdom from the surfly wise will save me hours.

Steve
          First off what makes you think they are harder than they should be? Have you compared it with another? Mine are pretty solid when up to temp.
          Where does it push the water out?
          Is it a 2.4 or 3 litre. The electric fan on a 3 litre is for the AC.
          Mick
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
            The normal reply is ......................

I would do the thermostat and rad cap first then get the system checked

The other evil thing in the system is the waterpump
            I thought that would be the reply! would an air lock cause pressure. it seems odd that the fill point ( rad cap ) is not the highest point in the system! the water seems to be comming out of the overflow pipe at the side of the rad cap, filling up the expansion tank, but not sucking back into the system .

I was hoping some body else had had these symptoms and found an easy cure.
            Thanks
            Steve

Comment

Assume you have 3.0 as you are mentioning filler cap on rad.

Have you checked that the pipe from the overlow to the expansion bottle hasn't split?

If it has the cooloant will flow out, but it will draw air in as the engine cools.
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
                Assume you have 3.0 as you are mentioning filler cap on rad.

Have you checked that the pipe from the overlow to the expansion bottle hasn't split?

If it has the cooloant will flow out, but it will draw air in as the engine cools.
                Sorry, it's a 2.4, it is a radiator cap but not on the radiator. pipe seems ok. thinking it could be the cap not releasing the pressure or am i overfilling it??

Comment

Once you have been round the houses go back in few weeks and read post 4 again
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                    Once you have been round the houses go back in few weeks and read post 4 again
                    Quite possibly but, for the sake of fifteen quid, it's worth changing the cap, especially if it's not overheating.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments,
                      I have removed the stat and a sloppy rubber seal and fitted a new cap.
                      Bl00d3y ell thats tight.
                      Stiil pressuring up ( Post 4 still in mind but trying to ignore it Thanks Yoshii )
                      I have ordered a new waterpump as the bottom of the rad is not as warm as the top and no heat to the rear. I had the water pump go on my adui A6 2.4 24V V6 ( keeps the greenies happy ) and it had classic head symptoms but it was localised heating causing the coolant to boil and pressure up - hoping this is the case - new pump 18.99 - being able to rag the beast along the beach and up into the sand dunes - PRICELESS!!!!
                      I post the outcome.
                      PS how long to change the pump!!
                      Steve

Comment

If you are suffering overheating problems due to anything other than a cracked head, the removal of the thermostat will make the symptoms worse, not better.

Comment

That's good to know cos it got worse.
                          when the cap goes onto the overflow tank should there be a length of tube on the inside of the Cap.
                          I know allot of these silly Q's could be answered if i had a haynes Aunal but i ain't.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wanstall View Post
                            That's good to know cos it got worse.
                            when the cap goes onto the overflow tank should there be a length of tube on the inside of the Cap.
                            I know allot of these silly Q's could be answered if i had a haynes Aunal but i ain't.
                            Steve
                            Is that length of hose on the inside of the cap or not? If not, you will lose coolant.

Manuals:

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/downloads.php

The 2LT and 3KZ manuals are up there.

Comment

Working...
                            X