Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've finally killed it

me lawn mower that is

After 20 odd years of use and abuse I've finally gone and killed the machine that had always seemed unstoppable.

As we'd had a decent'ish day today and I'm away again for next few days thought I'd get the grass mowed so one less job to do when i get back. Just managed to get the first few lengths done and it went and died in mid cut.

So looks like I need a lawnmower surgeon to have a look at the Briggs and Stratton motor, any one know of one in the Birmingham area ?

Maybe it has just run out of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Maybe it has just run out of fuel.
      I wish it was that simple but it's got a full tank of fresh petrol so not that one. Feels like compression has gone as can be easily turned over
      Last edited by Growler; 18 May 2009, 22:24.

Comment

Spark plug loose? When was the last time it was changed?

Comment

My petrol mower did a similar thing last season - turned out to be greenish sludge on jet in carb. apparently petrol can go off over winter and coat internals of carb - blocking jets etc.
          Just a thought!!
          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Try here www.mowerpro.co.uk
            Havent used them just googled them.

Cheers Ian
            I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Just remembered - I have a lawn mower workshop manual that covers most popular makes and models inc B&S - in PDF format.
              Let me know what model you have and I'll post up the correct chapter for your mower - or pm me your address and I'll send you a copy of the disc.
              the whole disc is 216MB - too big to send via email!!

Comment

Andy, there's one on the Jockey Rd near me, can,t remember the name but they service petrol mowers.
                http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Spark plug loose? When was the last time it was changed?
                  Plugs just over 2 years old and was in tight. Have removed and getting good spark when held against head

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                  My petrol mower did a similar thing last season - turned out to be greenish sludge on jet in carb. apparently petrol can go off over winter and coat internals of carb - blocking jets etc.
                  Just a thought!!
                  Fresh tank of fuel this year, this was 2nd time out for the mower this year and was running fine until it got hot/up to normal running temp

Just remembered - I have a lawn mower workshop manual that covers most popular makes and models inc B&S - in PDF format.
                  Let me know what model you have and I'll post up the correct chapter for your mower - or pm me your address and I'll send you a copy of the disc.
                  I'll PM address if that ok as currently away from home so not in rush

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
                  Andy, there's one on the Jockey Rd near me, can,t remember the name but they service petrol mowers.
                  Cheers Ant, Will see what happens when i have time to give it a proper look over when i get home the weekend, but if your passing and can get a phone number or name hat would help

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
                    Try here www.mowerpro.co.uk
                    Havent used them just googled them.

Cheers Ian
                    Thanks Ian, will have a browse and give 'em a call later in week.

P.S. Docs refused to do the task asked about in your pm , not got enough scaffolding apparently

Comment

Will do.
                      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

How far back does that cover, years wise?

Comment

CD arrived on saturday morning, cheers mate

Well the long and short of it is the mower lives to cut again. Managed to strip down and clean out the fuel lines, carb and even removed head and gave it a de-coke. After a couple of hours work it finally fired up and finished what was started on Monday evening, although not running at full power so think I have upset/got some of the settings wrong somewhere and need to tweak it a bit.

Neighbours hate me now having disturbed their peacefull bank holiday monday

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                            CD arrived on saturday morning, cheers mate

Well the long and short of it is the mower lives to cut again. Managed to strip down and clean out the fuel lines, carb and even removed head and gave it a de-coke. After a couple of hours work it finally fired up and finished what was started on Monday evening, although not running at full power so think I have upset/got some of the settings wrong somewhere and need to tweak it a bit.

Neighbours hate me now having disturbed their peacefull bank holiday monday
                            Nice one Andy.... as for the neighbours

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!
                            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                              How far back does that cover, years wise?
                              Sorry for the late reply - just seen your post!!
                              It's hard to tell as the manual goes by engine/serial number - but it goes back to 1983 for tecumseh mowers as a guide.
                              post up your make and model/serial number and i'll have a look

Comment

Working...
                              X