Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding laws

Hi Guys,

A freind of mine got caught speeding the other day.
    It's a new road straight off the M1 link into Leeds with
    a 40 limit, The police car hides at a roundabout and is
    hidden by the armco barrier, so you cant see it's markings,
    and what is above, blends in with the landscape of the area
    of the roundabout behind it. I've allways thought they had
    to be in plain sight of any driver approaching the speed trap.

He took his producer into the local nick, and the officer there,
    knew where he had been caught, and by who, just by the
    handwriting of the issuing officer, he's done so many!!.

Anyone got any idea's or thoughts on this matter?

Gman.
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

A couple of thoughts .......

1. If you don't break the speed limit they can't do you

2. If you're going to speed then get a camera detector

PS
    I've had a sh!t week and can't be arsed to be subtle

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

We've had this topic crop up a few times and the general concencus of opinion normally is; if you speed and get caught you really can't complain.

We all speed, we all know the concequences, and then we all complain when we do get caught!

Ce'st la vie!
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

This is a speed trap used by Humberside Police in their Hi-vis campaign. Can you spot the camera through the hole in the rear shutter?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Hi-sider; 14 May 2009, 21:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

A couple of thoughts .......

1. If you don't break the speed limit they can't do you

2. If you're going to speed then get a camera detector

I'll second that, ive learned my lesson..slowly. Annoying thing is when you abide by the law 99% of the time, then get busted when you drift over the limit by a couple of mph..

Comment

i thought i'd got caught doing 80 in a 50 a few weeks back...

oops!...

that would have been a summons straight to court!

quite handy that Mrs slugs brother's a solicitor and his mrs is a copper... cos they can tell me how naughty i am!...
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
              I'll second that, ive learned my lesson..slowly. Annoying thing is when you abide by the law 99% of the time, then get busted when you drift over the limit by a couple of mph..
              ....although, that said....if you abide by the law 1% of the time, then when you get busted, you don't feel so bad about all the times you get away with it.

(not condoning it by any means, but I ride motorcycles and do like to "press on").

Comment

I have owned some seriously fast bikes and cars in the past and somehow I only ever managed to get caught once (1983). These days I rigidly stick to the limits, after all the Surf is a big, comfortable 4x4 with road presence and nothing to prove so why add to the stress of driving by having to keep an eye out for the police or cameras?

There are still far too many people who think it is Ok to speed and get upset if they come across another driver sticking to the limit.... had one last night behind me while driving through the Mersey tunnel (2 miles long). The limit is 30 mph, I had the cruise control set and the driver behind waits till he is about to turn down the docks exit and then starts flashing his lights and shaking his fist.
                I wonder if he’d be so keen to shake his fist if he knew I was carrying firearms in the boot? .... and that is part of my reason for sticking to the limits... ANPR cameras in police cars will identify the fact that I’m a licensed shotgun / firearms holder and as such I’m supposed to set a good example in being a law abiding citizen.
                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                  I have owned some seriously fast bikes and cars in the past and somehow I only ever managed to get caught once (1983). These days I rigidly stick to the limits, after all the Surf is a big, comfortable 4x4 with road presence and nothing to prove so why add to the stress of driving by having to keep an eye out for the police or cameras?

There are still far too many people who think it is Ok to speed and get upset if they come across another driver sticking to the limit.... had one last night behind me while driving through the Mersey tunnel (2 miles long). The limit is 30 mph, I had the cruise control set and the driver behind waits till he is about to turn down the docks exit and then starts flashing his lights and shaking his fist.
                  I wonder if he’d be so keen to shake his fist if he knew I was carrying firearms in the boot? .... and that is part of my reason for sticking to the limits... ANPR cameras in police cars will identify the fact that I’m a licensed shotgun / firearms holder and as such I’m supposed to set a good example in being a law abiding citizen.
                  you sound like one of these pompous ex smokers, ex drunks, and come across as all holier than thou, while at the same time admitting that you yourself used to speed frequently. Its not attractive.

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                    you sound like one of these pompous ex smokers, ex drunks, and come across as all holier than thou, while at the same time admitting that you yourself used to speed frequently. Its not attractive.

Bogus
                    Never smoked or been a drinker...

All that I’m trying to get across is that times have changed since the 80’s... it was fairly simple to get away with speeding and the police didn’t seem to be so bothered. Now though, with all the advanced digital/electronic surveillance it is just not worth taking the risk anymore.
                    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Lets be honest we all speed at one time or another, and a speeding motorist is a lot easier to catch than a mugger or drug dealer. So put it down to experience, remember where the bas oops the traffic officer was hiding and be happy with the thought that your fine will help to pay your MP,s expences.
                      There, bet you feel better for that dont you.
                      I've taken a vow of poverty To anoy me send money

Comment

Here we go again. Then laws of our fair land have been put in place to protect it's citizens. ie.you and me. Then laws relating to speed are to protect road users. Believe it or not vehicles can kill, especially when driven too quickly. Just like a loaded gun they are a lethal weapon and that's why we need a licence to drive one. How many times has some berk overtaken you like a bat out of hell only for you to catch up to them a little further down the road as they have been caught up in more traffic. So they have put there own and other road users safety at risk for nothing, have to say they boil my pi$$. How would any of the pro speeding lobby feel if one of the their loved ones was wiped out by a speeding vehicle. No we shouldn't fine those who abuse the safety of other road users we should ban them from driving. I'm sure that the thought of a 6 month automatic ban would make most think twice about putting there hoof down.

Spoggle

Comment

I think I might just stay out of this one
                          How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

What i dont understand is a lot of dual carrigeways in this area are a 40 or50 but if you go into the country on them lovely narrow lanes your allowed to do the national limit dont make sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninja View Post
                              What i dont understand is a lot of dual carrigeways in this area are a 40 or50 but if you go into the country on them lovely narrow lanes your allowed to do the national limit dont make sense to me

That'll be 60mph then.
                              70 on dual carriageways unless indicated otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X