new lump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new lump

hi all ive just fitted new lump in surf sounds great only problem now is the auto trans isnt engaging any gears anyone got any ideas all help much welcomed

Short transfer case lever in neutral?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Short transfer case lever in neutral?
      fraid not have tried it in all positions just wont engage any was working fine before the change

Comment

Fluid in the transmission and at correct level?
        Kick-down cable connected?
        All plugs secure in the ECU?
        All earths connected?

Comment

All earths connected?
          pretty sure they are but it wont hurt to go and have another look ill let you now later thanks for your help cheers

Comment

All earths connected?
            ive checked the above items all seem fine the engine changes tone when gears are selected but it just wont move could it be an air lock in the pipework if so how do i remove it also trans says theres oil in it but it dosent seem to be pumping round the bottom of rad any ideas
            Last edited by ginger ninja; 9 May 2009, 12:54.

Comment

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running? The torque converter needs to be full of fluid as well as the transmission to drive the rear wheels.

Was the torque converter fitted correctly?

Linkage secure from shift lever to transmission?

Is there drive when you select the gears 'manually'? (L.2.D.R)

It's either a fluid problem or the transfer case.

Comment

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running? The torque converter needs to be full of fluid as well as the transmission to drive the rear wheels.

Was the torque converter fitted correctly?

Linkage secure from shift lever to transmission?

Is there drive when you select the gears 'manually'? (L.2.D.R)

It's either a fluid problem or the transfer case.
                yes to the 1st 3 no to the next 1 the two hoses from the trans to the bottom of the rad are putting no oil through them even with the engine running and in drive

Comment

OK, was the torque converter removed with the old engine?

Comment

OK, was the torque converter removed with the old engine?
                    the torque convertor came off the old engine and fitted to the new with very little loss of oil both engines being a 1kzte the new a 99 model the old a 94

Comment

Well there's your problem. The torque converter should be fitted to the transmision first to make sure it's seated correctly, if not then the locating notches between the T/C and transmision won't be aligned and the pump won't work.
                      Then the engine is mated to the transmission assembly, or vice versa.

p.s. not sure wether a '99 and '94 are compatible either, but I could be mistaken regarding that.

Comment

Well there's your problem. The torque converter should be fitted to the transmision first to make sure it's seated correctly, if not then the locating notches between the T/C and transmision won't be aligned and the pump won't work.
                        Then the engine is mated to the transmission assembly, or vice versa.

p.s. not sure wether a '99 and '94 are compatible either, but I could be mistaken regarding that.
                        was rather hoping you wasnt going to say that is there anyway we can talk direct i dont mind putting my number on to save a bit of time

Comment

Should be the same.

Keep up the good work Vince

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninja View Post
                            was rather hoping you wasnt going to say that is there anyway we can talk direct i dont mind putting my number on to save a bit of time
                            Sorry mate, got no other communication devices apart from this laptop 'till wednesday.

What you need to do is seperate the engine and transmission again!

Drain the transmission fluid.
                            Disconnect the wiring plugs, dipstick tube, cable, fluid cooling hoses and linkage from the transmission.
                            Remove the inspection plate and the bottom of the bellhousing and remove the six bolts that attatch the torque converter to the driveplate. Remove each one by turning the engine via the crank pulley bolt. This will enable the driveplate to remain on the engine and the torque converter to stay with the transmission. (you may have to prise them apart using a long screwdriver or similar.)
                            Now it's up to you how you go about seperating the engine/transmission, either by removing the radiator and disconnecting the engine/transmission mounts and jiggling the two apart, or remove the engine completely.

Once seperated you need to fit the T/C to the transmission. Slide it onto the shaft untill it 'clunks' into position. it may take a couple of attemps i.e. pull it off, rotate it slightly and then try again, but you can tell when it's fully seated.

Once you've done that, re-fit the engine/trans back together.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Comment

I didn't want to interrupt you n your very sound & well explained advice earlier but Vince you Sir deserve a Medal ...
                              Very well done Buddy

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X