Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small 4x4 what to buy

so...
    My dad is in his mid 70's and a ....pretty good driver. Ish.
    He is wanting to get a new car (currently driving a mid 90's Golf 1.6) and likes the idea of greenlaning. However he doesnt want something that is much bigger than what he is currently driving. He refuses to drive the Surf yet loves being a bit higher,.

So criteria are:
    1. small-ish
    2. comfortable to drive
    3. A diesel that will run on veg. (Bosch pumped and ideally indirect injection)
    4. decent in a crash
    5. doesnt need indicators as he appears to beam his intentions via the medium of telepathy to other road users so feels no need to use them.
    6. reliable
    7. Under or around a grand
    8. reasonable off-road i.e. will greenlane and not get stuck at the first hint of mud obviously it wont be great but as long as he can come along he'll be happy.

I know there was a thread on recently about the RAV4 which was interesting and have thought about the little Suzuki's but am guessing that they are not going to be good enough on the comfort stakes. Guess a SWB Paj isn't too huge but may still be a bridge too far.

any thoughts

A Toyota Rav 4 ticks most of the boxes apart from being a petrol only engine. There are diesel versions of the Suzuki Vitara.

Another car that some may consider is the Land Rover Freelander... but they are fraught with problems.
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Daihatsu Fourtak. Small, cheep, 2.8 diesel that will run on veggie.
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Thanks PDR.
        Yep suzukis could be a way. Just not sure on ride quality. Maybe I'll go and give one a drive.

The Freelanders are known by my local Landy garage as 'Three Granders' as thats how much customers end up spending on them in the first year!

Comment

Rav4 is deffo ticking the boxes paul,but they can be a bit thirsty...considered a short wheelbase diesel frontera ??
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Zuki Jimny 1.3 injection Jap reliability.{mpg that wont have you dreaming of veg} Coils, Great off road loads of after market bits for them. O and you will always sell a Jimny. For a grandish you would be nuts to buy anything else. imho
            Brian

Comment

For all round use, it's pretty much going to be a Suzuki or Daihatsu.

Comment

i had a jimny when they first came out in 98,amazing little car,i covered 20 thousand miles in a year and im 6ft3,pretty comfy tbh,altho petrol,u wont go wrong

Comment

dont ignore the lada niva...see how they perform on utube!
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

there is a dihatsu for sale in croydon southbridge road, its an older one i could take a look for you if you want mate.
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Been up there with him tonight and he's umming and ahhing about whther he wants 4WD or not. I'm trying to convince...

Many thanks particularly charvell for the offer. cheers mate

Comment

Pajero junior? again petrol engine only, but probably the smallest sensible looking 4x4 about. May still be a little on the pricey side, but shouldn't be too bad in the current climate.

edit: ... not sure if the shogun pinin is the UK version of the junior? available with a 1.8 diesel lump
                        Last edited by nero279; 29 April 2009, 23:44.
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                          Pajero junior? again petrol engine only, but probably the smallest sensible looking 4x4 about. May still be a little on the pricey side, but shouldn't be too bad in the current climate.

edit: ... not sure if the shogun pinin is the UK version of the junior? available with a 1.8 diesel lump
                          There is a SWB version of the Pajero which is diesel. Can't remember offhand whether it's a 2.5 or 2.8.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            There is a SWB version of the Pajero which is diesel. Can't remember offhand whether it's a 2.5 or 2.8.
                            nah the junior definately is even smaller than a normal SWB Paj, i think the pinin's the same too, the junior got a dinky 1.1 petrol engine, i'm pretty sure the pinin was available with a little diesel engine though.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                              nah the junior definately is even smaller than a normal SWB Paj, i think the pinin's the same too, the junior got a dinky 1.1 petrol engine, i'm pretty sure the pinin was available with a little diesel engine though.
                              I'd not heard of the Junior. Had wondered what the Pinin was though. Now I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X