if i remove the fan shroud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if i remove the fan shroud

(think that's what its called) from the back of the radiator .will the fan still cool engine . just think it would make washingthe mud out of the rad a lot easier

no yr engine will blow up

Comment

ill keep it on then thanks m8

Comment

I think you will still get cooling with the shroud removed, but here's a tip for cleaning the rad.

Someone on here came up with an idea if a length of copper pipe, the end folded to a right angle and squished, the other end attached to the hosepipe.

You should find that it sprays a jet of water to shift the much, and is thin enough to get into the awkward places on the rad.

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
          ill keep it on then thanks m8
          i was kidding lol,most have to do it with the lift anyways
          Originally posted by That Ruddy Squirrel View Post
          I think you will still get cooling with the shroud removed, but here's a tip for cleaning the rad.

Someone on here came up with an idea if a length of copper pipe, the end folded to a right angle and squished, the other end attached to the hosepipe.

You should find that it sprays a jet of water to shift the much, and is thin enough to get into the awkward places on the rad.

Trev
          only works if u actually do it tho eh trev?

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
            only works if u actually do it tho eh trev?
            Hmmmmmmmmm

wounds

salt

rub

you will now excuse me while I remove the dagger from my back

I don't have the facilities to have a hose here Andy
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by That Ruddy Squirrel View Post
              Hmmmmmmmmm

wounds

salt

rub

you will now excuse me while I remove the dagger from my back

I don't have the facilities to have a hose here Andy
              sorry mate couldnt resist

Comment

well on sunday i used a garden pump/sprayer 5ltr and it worked very well they sell the same thing in halfords as a pressure car wash thing for £15.00 not bad as b n q sell the gardening one for £19.99.better than nothing .

Comment

My local TKmaxx were knocking these out at £20 a shot at the weekend http://www.tools-n-all.co.uk/items/i...LAID=302338069 can go back and see if they got any left if anyone wants to give one a try?

In reply to your original question though, removing the shroud will affect the cooling. The shroud improves the efficiency of the fan, so at low speed or sitting in traffic etc, when the fan is what's drawing air through the rad you may notice it running warmer, or the backup fan kicking in more often. It will affect cooling, but then so will the rad being chock full with mud that's trapped between the rad and shroud aswell.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

When jetwashing your rad, be careful not to knacker the fine fins in the rad, they aint very strong (a wasp will bend them) and that will affect cooling more than removing the shroud..
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Stop driveing the f##ker through mud, problem solved
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

see i still visit now n then
                        in the nearly3 years ive had skull ive never had a shroud n ive had no probs with cooling the rad temp just sits there, but then again i think ive got a slightly bigger fan on mine than on a normal 2.4 i think stormy tried to put a shroud on n it wouldnt fit.
                        im sure stormy or even tonyn will remember the fan i got on mine

Comment

i clean mine with steamwasher i lent from work after i left work of corse
                          should pay there do's
                          had it a few years now he know when i took it it was not going back

my last rad was down to a brassie shine
                          so dont go mad on it to clean out the rad like i have in the past
                          but pit muck dont like to come off tho
                          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                            My local TKmaxx were knocking these out at £20 a shot at the weekend http://www.tools-n-all.co.uk/items/i...LAID=302338069 can go back and see if they got any left if anyone wants to give one a try?

In reply to your original question though, removing the shroud will affect the cooling. The shroud improves the efficiency of the fan, so at low speed or sitting in traffic etc, when the fan is what's drawing air through the rad you may notice it running warmer, or the backup fan kicking in more often. It will affect cooling, but then so will the rad being chock full with mud that's trapped between the rad and shroud aswell.
                            ian wot backup fan

Comment

the electric fan that 2.4s have in front of the rad, not sure if 3.0s have one or not though thinking about it.
                              =========
                              =SOLD UP!=
                              =========

Comment

Working...
                              X