RAV4 anyone had any experience of one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAV4 anyone had any experience of one

My daughter has been offered a good deal on a R reg RAV4 2.0. Are they any good. We always used to take the mick out the guy who had it calling it an hairdressers car. His wife wouldn't drive it saying it was heavy. He is now working away for a few years, Borneo, so will sell it to her for £1200. It seems a good deal but is there anything I should look out for on it.

dont think ive ever seen one off road

Comment

We had one for 6 months, only stayed on tarmac and prior to this i always thought they were crap, but i loved driving it in the end, was sorry to see it go.
      Was only a 2dr and quite heavy on the juice if i remember rightly.

Comment

Vagrant no2 has on .........he would be the best to ask
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

After having owned mainly British cars for most of his life (fords, BL, Vauxhalls and a few VWs) my 74 year old Dad wanted another car....something with more road presence than his Ford Fiesta, but not too big. For once he let me choose a car for him. I knew that I wanted to put him in a Japanese car.
          So last October I bought him a 3 –door Rav 4 and he absolutely loves it. He reckons it is probably the best car he has owned. He finds it very easy to drive and park and being a 2 litre it is quite quick.
          I have driven it myself several times and it is nice to drive.
          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

I had a courtesy one when they did the recall on my surf, and I was so impressed that I would like one next (to go with the surf of course). Wouldn't try it off road, but it's road manners were impecable.

Please note this one was brand new and top of the range, so not really a fair comparision.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

My mate has one, apparently it's possible to convey Golfist equipment in them.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Tam has got a late Mk1 Rav4 Freesport . Great car , she loves it . Best car she says she has had . Very , very reliable . In 4 or 5 years we have only fitted 2 tyres and a set of brake pads and general servicing . Only prob we had was the waterpump fail . Nearly an engine out job . But that is the only thing I had to get someone else to fix due to time and facility to do the job . It is a little small for me to drive but I have driven it for a constant 4 hour trip with no real discomfort, but the driving position for Tam is great . A bit higher off the road then a car so vision is better but not too big for parking etc.
                We did look at a newer Mk2 Rav4 before buying the Mk1 but prefered the Mk1 for interior room and rear vision .
                The 4 wheel drive does help driving as grip on road and handling very good . Have had it on wet grass and loose shingle and no problems with road tyres gripping .
                Recommend you buy it . Check for any knocks and cluncks from transmission as this can show wear in 4x4 system which is in contant drive .
                There are a few 2 wheel drive models out there so check before you buy !!
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

The early cars I know where using the 3sge engine (same as in the mk2 MR2 and gen6 celica). Fairly bombproof as they have been making that engine for ages now.

There is a guy on the ToyotaOwnersClub who has dropped the MR2 Turbo / GT4 lump in. And it seems to have taken 300bhp fine.

With no VVTi etc it's less to go wrong. Toyota in the 90's seemed to build cars right.

Comment

i owned a SWB 1995 M reg Rav4 mkI for a couple years,
                    great vehicle, it was very enjoyable to drive, almost sporty and nice handling.
                    got about 25mpg in the 2 litre petrol engine.
                    I did some light offroading in it, it had a centre electronic difflock, newer ones have viscous coupling centre diff.
                    the difflock helped me get out of some mud a few times
                    we mainly got it for winter driving in snow and it was very good for that.

In the end it was a bit too small for us and 2 dogs and mountain bikes and other kit, so we part-exchanged it for a subaru forester,

i still miss it though, and wouldnt mind a rav4 again, but i dont like the shape of the new ones now, gone all renualt megane like with an arse on the back...
                    Landcruiser Colorado
                    Sub. Forester

Comment

I drove one in New Zealand for a couple of weeks and it was great. Excellent on the road, and the 4wd worked a treat in a foot of snow. Have we found a car that everyone in the world thinks is good???

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think I will let her have then. Like I had a choice! She is going to have it what ever I say. I have known the car since he bought last year and its only done 200 miles since he MOT'd it last November.
                        His wife is back in the country next week so we will sort it out. He is even letting her pay monthly for it.
                        Once again, Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X