Lift ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift ????

Got a rattle from underneath sounds like chains clanking, only on rough stuff though...... Did not think me truck was lifted but on the end of the rear shocks there are some sort of extension brackets.....the shocks are standard with the ride control still fitted but the brackets extend by about 2".....
    They fit over the shock mount but have no rubber bush on the bottom, tried grease and had marginal success with the rattle till i presume the grease squidged out.....
    Is there a way to measure if she is lifted or not as in what is the standard distance from shock pin to shock mount on a unlifted truck...??

Does she look lifted to you...????

Paul1566
    Remember arrows are silent.....................
    Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Sounds like it has 2" spring spacers fitted although they shoud'nt rattle if fitted properly, the truck does look like its has a 2" lift to me, might be wrong, job to tell unless i see it in person, stock rear springs should only have rubber mounting pads (thin) top and bottom, any sort of thick alloy spacer means its lifted
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I think me rattle is where the shock extension piece fits over the axle spigot.
      Its just metal to metal, may try rubber washer behind steel washer to stop the play.

Paul1566

Comment

She looks lifted to me, butas popeye says, it's hard to tell from a picture. I've had mine lifted by 2" with longer shocks fitted (procomp es9000). If I measure verticaly from centre of wheel hub cap to the nearest edge of wheel arch, the distance is 22" on the rear. this should give some sort of indication. But depending on wear, and how full your tank is etc etc - this could be slightly different.
        The bottom of your shocker should have a rubber bush (with a steel lining tube) that protrudes each side of the shocker mount SEE PICTURE( shaped a bit like an old fashion cotton reel). A slightly cupped washer then fits over the bush and secured by the nut. there should be no metal to metal contact except for lining tube to mounting spigot which should be transition fit.
        Can you take a photo of the mount in question just to clarify where this extension piece is?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jaky cakes; 17 April 2009, 10:31.
        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

As above and that has been lifted at the back at least, and should not be metal to metal on the shox fittment

As for the rattle if you have been off road, check the obvious any stones ratteling around on the transfer case gaurd.
          Brian

Comment

Ok here's a picture, you can just see the copper ease grease that i put on.
            Its a crappy picture cus its persistently raining and the camera i just nicked from my work mate is crap.

Paul1566

Comment

Yup! that looks wrong, looks like whoever fitted this lot went for a "cheap fix" to save buying replacement plus 2" shocks, for the present i'd remove that extension thing on the bottom shock mount and see if the shock will extent and fit on the original mount till you can aquire some plus 2"'s,
              i have the land criuser springs fitted and still have the original shocks on the back and it's ok, no rattles but i do get a bang as the shock tops out when comeing off a speed bump etc, the LC springs give around 3" lift so your shocks should do for now without that extension, new rear shocks are on my list, i did fit plus 2" on the front tho
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                The bottom of your shocker should have a rubber bush (with a steel lining tube) that protrudes each side of the shocker mount SEE PICTURE( shaped a bit like an old fashion cotton reel). A slightly cupped washer then fits over the bush and secured by the nut. there should be no metal to metal contact except for lining tube to mounting spigot which should be transition fit.
                There's no sleeve in the bottom shock mount. It's an inner and outer rubber only.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  Yup! that looks wrong, looks like whoever fitted this lot went for a "cheap fix" to save buying replacement plus 2" shocks, for the present i'd remove that extension thing on the bottom shock mount and see if the shock will extend and fit on the original mount till you can aquire some plus 2"'s.
                  Agreed. If the stud on the bottom is worn from the metal to metal contact from the extension then you will have a problem. You may be lucky and the tube that has been welded to the U shaped bracket will be the only worn part. If that's the case then the shock absorber should fit as long as the bushes are ok.

Nev

Comment

Think i will take them of and do an inspection.
                    See how much travel i still have with just the original shocks.
                    Not going for masses of articulation so not that bothered but would be nice to loose the clanking.
                    Cheers guys
                    just need the puddles to dry up before i go lying about underneath her...

Paul1566

Comment

As above - remove that extension bracket and rotate shock 90' then fit over original mount spigot. You'll be ok with travel as long as you don't go mad off road. When i fitted my 2" spacers I left original shocks on for months until I bought my procomps for a firmer ride.

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                      There's no sleeve in the bottom shock mount. It's an inner and outer rubber only.

Nev
                      Mine have! the rubber bush is a one piece affair (bu66er to fit)with a hardened steel tube liner (all these bits came as standard with the procomps)
                      The top bushing is a two piece (upper and lower).
                      Probably depends on what make shocks you have - and I cant remember how the original toyota shocks were set up.
                      Last edited by jaky cakes; 17 April 2009, 12:26.
                      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
                      X