Applecross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applecross?

Now then, has anyone ever tried dragging a Caravan over to the campsite at Applecross, (West Coast Scotland, Highlands)?
    I fancy a trip up there, but the statement about the 'alpine road to Applecross' does not give me the greatest confidence, as willing a tow truck my trusty 3ltr 3rd Gen. is !!!
    The web site does mention a 'cowards route', via Shieldaig, maybe that would be the better option
    Or, is there any one from 'up there', who could give me any advice about the route, and what sort of a challenge would it be for a medium sized twin axle caravan? Any info would be appreciated.

The "pass of the cattle" is the road from lochcarron over to applecross.
    It's passing places only, caravan is a bad idea.

Look on this thread. http://www.scottishmudclub.com/forum...d-trips/page1/
    Last edited by yoshie; 2 April 2009, 15:46.
    Brian

Comment

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !

Ive driven it a couple of times and believe me its even scary in a ford fiesta. From memory theres a warning sign at the Lochcarron side stating that the road is unsuitable for caravans and HGVs. Even the road from Shieldaig will have you (and other drivers) tearing there hair out as I am sure its single track all the way, mind you the coastal scenery will make up for it, if I was you when you get to Applecross campsite the long way unhook the van and take the Surf over the Bealach Na Ba just for the experience its a drivers road climbing to over 2000' with 1 in 4 ascents and hairpin bends. The views from the top will be worth soiling your pants for.

Comment

Yehhhhh,
        it sounds like a bad idea after all, I think I will try for somewhere a bit more caravan friendly, as near as poss, it sounds a wonderfull place! I'll try the link you mentioned, cheers for the info, I just thought I'd ask!

Comment

Working...
        X