Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang

Morning all,

I couldn't make the tech weekend as I was up in Yorkshire (near Richmond, for those who are interested). I had a Mustang coupe booked so off I went in that. Just thought I'd let you know how it went.

The car was a 1970 320ci (5 litre) in a kind of orangey red. Obviously restored and resprayed in the last five years. The obvious thing is that it was extremely loud. Starting it up startled every passer by, and caused a guy in a Dsicovery at a petrol station to require a change of pants, he got that excited. The other obvious thing is that everyone loved it. I was famous for a weekend, with everyone stopping and saying 'nice car' and people letting me out of side roads.

Once I had stopped making a noise and drawing attention to myself, I actually drove it. Engine response and power were pretty good and it had a nice even delivery. The steering, erm, worked. It was very heavy and the turning circle was enormous, but it was alright once you got used to it. I did have to do a three point turn turning right out of a t junction at one point though.

Cruising up the A1 was no massive drama. It was unbelievably noisy, but otherwise fine. The ride was pretty good (especially considering it was on cart springs) and it was better on fuel than a V6 surf.....It's no exactly comfy or spacious on the inside, but no-one cried.

One thing that I now appreciate about modern cars that I didn't before is ergonomics. Some of my favourite features of the mustang were: Foot operated parking brake with a lever to disengage, identical light and windscreen wiper switches, but you pull the light switch and twist the wiper switch (unless you want the dash lights on as well, in which case you twist the light switch - no labels, obviously), the clock is on the passenger side so is impossible for the driver to see, my personal favourite - the switch for dipped lights or full beam is a pedal where the clutch (or foot rest) should be and there is no light on the dash to tell you which setting it's on.

All in all, I was certainly glad to have had a go in it and it kind of fulfilled an ambition, but I won't be buying one.

Last edited by Sancho; 30 March 2009, 11:03.

You should 've called in we were playing with our new coffee machine and given me guidance on how to use ebay !
    Nice car by the way ! hope you didn't have to fill up when in North Yorks ? nearly had a heart attack at Brompton on Swale, Derv was back over a £1 a litre !
    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

A perfect day then mate.
      Very nice car for a weekend glad you went with that choice.
      Brian

Comment

Thanks guys. I have a London Taxi next. I'm nearly as excited about that, just because it's another thing I never thought I'd drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          Thanks guys. I have a London Taxi next. I'm nearly as excited about that, just because it's another thing I never thought I'd drive.

Top banana
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

mmmm, very nice.

Only ever driven a later one (not sure if it was the new shape as it was about 3 years ago) in New Mexico. A soft top Avis hire car. It was cr@p. Even though the air temp was in the mid 30s, it was still freezing at 50mph!

Much prefer the old 'uns.

Is that a catalogue photo, or did you take it?
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

... but I won't be buying one.....
              Girl! Lovely looking motor, I could quite happily live with one of those.

I don't get the over loud exhausts on cars like these, they sound beautiful anyway, why make it hurty loud? You don't lose much usable performance, if any, with something slightly quieter, and its much more livable with.

My V8 in the pickup burbled sexily on idle, and sounded great underload, but you could still drive it for hours, and leave home at 6am and not annoying the whole neighbourhood.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sounds great, very jealous (and about the taxi for that matter- if its good enough for Stephen Fry)

I think you've missed your calling Sanch. somewhere theres a car mag missing a reviewer

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Is that a catalogue photo, or did you take it?
                  Catalogue. I took some, but not downloaded them yet.

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  I don't get the over loud exhausts on cars like these, they sound beautiful anyway, why make it hurty loud?
                  It's a bit of a mystery to me, but at least with this when it screams 'look at me' when you start it up, people actually look at something good, not a saxo with a giant thermos for an exhaust.

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                  I think you've missed your calling Sanch. somewhere theres a car mag missing a reviewer
                  I trust you're taking the p1ss. I'm at work so couldn't really dwell over beautiful prose. I just kind of blurted it out. Will try harder next time.

Comment

I trust you're taking the p1ss. I'm at work so couldn't really dwell over beautiful prose. I just kind of blurted it out. Will try harder next time.
                    So suspicious... for once I wasn't taking the ####, not much anyway... I did quite like it 'It's no exactly comfy or spacious on the inside, but no-one cried.' worked for me

Comment

Lovely car! theres nothing like the burbble from a big block american V8,
                      old mate of mine bought a fire damaged Boss mustang, the loom went up, completly rebuild it and it was a real stunner when he'd finished, if i was a millionaire i'd have a stable full of old yanks,

Just thought why on earth would you want to drive a london taxi?
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        Just thought why on earth would you want to drive a london taxi?
                        So I can do u-turns in fron of cyclists without indicating of course.

I don't know, novelty factor, silliness, whatever really. The drivers seat must be really comfy and you can get six people and all their stuff in it. It's not going to be refined, but neither was the mustang.

Comment

Morning all,
                          I did have to do a three point turn turning right out of a t junction at one point though.
                          thats because the back wheels still had grip ie not enough accellerator.
                          next time, you might want to give more pedal, may be even use the left foot for a little bit of brake, to help in the tight moments.

Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                            thats because the back wheels still had grip ie not enough accellerator.
                            next time, you might want to give more pedal, may be even use the left foot for a little bit of brake, to help in the tight moments.

That's exactly what someone else said: You're supposed to skid around the corners...

Comment

Love the muscle car Sancho.
                              Hope to Feck you get to drive a reasonably new taxi.
                              Trust me, the old ones are what clarkson describes as "a shed on wheels"
                              Turning circle is THE ONLY good point........and no, the seats aren't that comfy........and top speed on an oldy is about 55........after you've taken a morning to get to that speed
                              We had this (a 1992) for about 7 months while looking for a new motor..(my brother -in- law sells/hires/services taxi's so it was a free loan.(that was about the only good point)

Alan
                              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X