My Old 1st. Gen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Old 1st. Gen.

Was my pride and joy. Sold her 2 years 3 months ago on ebay for £900. Still got my tow-bar set-up. The engine was always the weak point on that truck. Why on earth replace the engine with a 2.4 non-turbo- one from a pick-up? Bet its so underpowered. Manual-box by the way.
    chris

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tab%3DWatching
    Powered by Toyota!

hi ya i thought that the 1st gen Had a solid front axle

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
      hi ya i thought that the 1st gen Had a solid front axle
      Can I refer you to this SAS Mod

Comment

ok so 1st gens don't have solid axles im confused the american 4runners have solid axles yes

Comment

Ah i posted that up aweek ago .............how sad that it has a 2l now
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

It was the trasition period from solid axle to IFS so the early 1st. gens have a solid axle. Not sure but I think the 4runners sold on the US market all had solid axle.
            chris
            Powered by Toyota!

Comment

thanks for that i thought i was going mad

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinflight View Post
                Not sure but I think the 4runners sold on the US market all had solid axle.
                chris
                All early 1st gens had solid (proper axle) upto about 1986/7 then all were replaced with the lesser usefull IFS from then on .
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

so is the solid axle better for on/off road and as the american 2nd gen 4runners had one could one be fitted to a surf

Comment

Have a search for "blizzard's" front axle swop write up (he in Barcelona, spain)
                    it was a good step by step write up with plenty of pics and something i'd love to do if i had the knowlage, money, facilitys etc, i think he posted the mod on yototec as well, dunno why they ever changed to ifs,
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
                      so is the solid axle better for on/off road and as the american 2nd gen 4runners had one could one be fitted to a surf
                      solid axle has much more articulation than the IFS truck, much better offroad, but much worse on the road, IFS trucks ase much smoother and comfy.

4Runners are the same as surfs, first 2 years are usually solid axle, then about 86 went IFS, said to be to make room for the bigger V6 motor that arrived as year later but mostly for on road comfort.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                      X