Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE or GNOME

Which is the more user friendly?

I'm thinking GNOME would suit me (as a novice) better, or am I talking shite again?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Pardon my ignorance but what are they squire ??
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
      Pardon my ignorance but what are they squire ??
      2 of the LINUX GUIs.

Comment

Both are friendly & easy to use.

Personally I use Gnome on my Linux machines

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
          Both are friendly & easy to use.

Personally I use Gnome on my Linux machines
          Am I right in saying you can switch between them at runtime?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Am I right in saying you can switch between them at runtime?
            If you have installed both yes, you get the option providing you have to log into the pc.

Th best person I know of here to ask is Mattf

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
              If you have installed both yes, you get the option providing you have to log into the pc.

Th best person I know of here to ask is Mattf
              I'm sure we'll get his input later

Comment

Out of the two, Gnome is the nicer, visually. KDE tends to be a bit more intuitive though, if I remember correctly. You can switch between as many window managers as you like, btw. There are cartloads of other alternatives too. The likes of Blackbox, for example, are simplistic and uncluttered. They do usually mean you'll be using the command prompt or suchlike to access a lot of utilities however, as they don't, by default, have nav menus for access to anything and everything as do the likes of Gnome/KDE.

Comment

Thanks Matt & Trev. As I'm a virgin at this, I'll go with GNOME first, will work out from there.

Comment

I'd recommend Gnome definitely even if it is currently annoying me with lots of niggling problems.

I never liked the look or feel of KDE though so I'll wait for the problems to be ironed out one day.

Comment

HEY funny you should post this, i have been using KDE 4.1 for the passed 2 or 3 weeks now. love it. linux has come along nicely, and is almost as user friendly for the average person as windows. still, ive been trying to install vmware and havnt managed to yet.
                      also im trying to setup remote desktop, so i can power the machine on remotely, and log into a gui. no luck there either.

but i have setup the compiz-fusion easily enough. the 4 desktops make working on numerous things very easy, and it looks nice as well. i like the kubuntu 8.10 default desktop settings as they look nice too.

the apt-get is ok.. eg apt-get install ssh

i even have ubuntu running on my Xbox 360. that was fun to setup.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Thanks Matt & Trev. As I'm a virgin at this, I'll go with GNOME first, will work out from there.
                        if you like the feel of windows vista, then go for the kde = kubuntu.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

dieselboy - try virtualbox for virtualisation. Was easy to get working with an XP guest on my arch linux host.

I'm also using KDE 4, been quite impressed with it though it's got a few issues with plasma throwing seg faults. If you can do without so much eye candy LXDE was nice to use and pretty lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by J_D View Post
                            dieselboy - try virtualbox for virtualisation. Was easy to get working with an XP guest on my arch linux host.

I'm also using KDE 4, been quite impressed with it though it's got a few issues with plasma throwing seg faults. If you can do without so much eye candy LXDE was nice to use and pretty lightweight.
                            i already have a few virtual machines made with microsoft virtual pc. VMware can load these apparently. so if i can use the same VM in either OS then thats what im after. im not sure but i dont think virtualbox does that?

ive managed to take some screen shots to show you the compiz-fusion on my desktop.

p.s. google is your friend with linux! (80% of the time) if anyone knows of a way to enable remote desktop or a vnc server, that is active upon the machine booting i.e. if i boot the machine remotely and i DONT have to log in to enable remote desktop
                            Attached Files
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i installed VMware with alien. removed right after because the linux version doesnt support .vhd virtual pc disks.

took 2 minutes to install virtualbox and boot the windows virtual disk

thanks for the info

now, how do you change the UID of the vhd file lol
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X