Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy query

Hi
    Does anyone have any more info' on 2,4 cylinder heads, i.e. any thing to look for as I am looking at buying one. gen 2 £4000-£6000. How much is a new cylinder head to be fitted if the worst happened??
    Or would it be safer to go with 3.0? Any advice on the difference in models or experience would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dicky

Hi and welcome Dicky.

There is no visible way to tell whether a modified head is fitted. If it has been in the UK a while the dealer may have proof that it has been changed. The head problem affects a small percentage of 91/92 model 2.4's. There was a recall in Japan but some slipped through.
    A replacement head is about £800 I think and of course labour if a garage fits it for you. Several members have done their own work, so it is well worth using the search facility.
    If I ever have to have another Surf it will be the 3.0L, because they are apparantly easier to service engine wise. There are some bargain deals to be had with the 2.4s from the ads I have seen recently.
    As for differences between models, well the Japanese love their optional extras and after market upgrades, so it's a job to tell.

Good luck with your hunting
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Dicky
      Hi
      Does anyone have any more info' on 2,4 cylinder heads, i.e. any thing to look for as I am looking at buying one. gen 2 £4000-£6000. How much is a new cylinder head to be fitted if the worst happened??
      Or would it be safer to go with 3.0? Any advice on the difference in models or experience would be appreciated.
      Thanks
      Dicky
      As said in previous post no sure way fire of knowing if its been done, unless the receipts to prove it are available.
      If you budget is around the £6000, then you are not far off a 3.0 2nd gen anyway, shop around and have a look.
      For the price of heads then look here www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk pick up a good cheap 2.4 save the left over cash incase the head goes and if it don't then your quids in.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Thanks

All very usefull.
        Many thanks.
        Dicky

Comment

Working...
        X